Fly Fusion Forums

Tips On Hand Care For Tying

DonAndersen

Guys/Gals,

Here are some tips about hand care for tying.

1] The best hand lotion I've ever found is Corn Huskers Lotion unfortunately only found in the USA. It's not popular and therefore suffers the indignity to being stuffed on the lower shelves of the drug stores. It's oil free and cheap. Google it for a list of suppliers

2] The little "wickers" on hands grabs everything. The best cure I've used is a teaspoon spoon of salt poured in your palm with a table spoon of baby oil or cooking oil added to it. Liberally rub your hands together. Will remove most of the little skin breaks.

3] For that junction between your finger and thumb where all the fly tying thread has to slip through when holding materials, use a finger nail buffer. Buff the area on your finger and thumb. It is available in four grits mounted on a foam block. See your local cosmetics counter. For those really cheap, a piece of 400 wet/dry sandpaper glued to a hockey stick end works as well. The buffers are about $4.00

4] Bounce or anti-static cloths work well to get rid of the static that dry climates seem to suffer. Rub your hands in the cloth. Now you will able to keep up to marabou.

catch ya'

Don

This is embarassing but I found a fairly long term cure. I took an office job 6 years ago and now I have computer hands. My hands are way too soft and snag free, but for dubbing I rub a tiny bit of wax into my finger tips. I always swore that I would never work in an office, but here I are!