Fly Fusion Forums

Early Season Camping On The Bow

Hey guys, I am planning my first trip to the Bow for next week (April 4th-6th). I'm a long time lurker (since the old FlyFishAlberta board) and live in the Edmonton area (born and raised) and want to travel to some open trout water (winter lasts too long up here). Anyways, I prefer not to motel it and am curious if there are any camp sites open in or east of the city. I have tried Nature's Hideaway near Carseland and another one close to the city but both are closed until April 15th. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - If it helps, I am strictly Fly Fishing CnR when it comes to trout .... not so much with Perch :). I'm also a photographer and plan on doing some nature/landscape photography in the area. I have done some research and have a few spots to try out, but if you guys know any spots that are good, and don't mind sharing, please let me know. If anyone know some great places with beautiful scenery to photograph, that would be a bonus too. Thanks again! :D

-Joe M.

Claresholm Centennial Park ( Campsite )

P.O. Box 1000, Claresholm

Phone: 403-625-2751 Fax: 403-625-3869

Open: Open Year Round

Units: 18

Thats the closest campground anywhere near the city i could find sorry buddy might be as close to the river as you can get if you wana camp. Good luck

I know there is a campground on the bow near carseland, however am not sure if it is open yet. Here is the website:

http://www.wyndhamcarselandpark.com/

If you do end up camping there i believe that the bow from the highway 24 bridge upstream to the wier is closed from april 1 until the end of may. It is just a short drive to Mckinnons from there.

Good luck!

Just wade out and camp on one of the many 'islands' in the middle of the Bow.

I too thought of this but wasn't sure if this was allowed .... I take it I can do this anywhere outside the city? Personally, I'm the kinda guy that likes to camp on public land to avoid the noisy young campers that like to blare the rap music. Hmmm, thanks for the suggestion. This is the thing I will probably do.

You're welcome to "camp" in my backyard (though I'm in the north end of the city)...

PM me if you're interested...

Peter

Wow, that a gesture. Thanks man. It'll be a last resort but it's nice to have the option :). So you guys are talking about islands outside the city right? I assume the city owns and islands in city limits or every homeless in Calgary would have a hay day. By the way, how deep would I have to wade? The back channels on our NS River is pretty scary.

Claresholm Centennial Park ( Campsite )

P.O. Box 1000, Claresholm

Phone: 403-625-2751 Fax: 403-625-3869

Open: Open Year Round

Units: 18

Thats the closest campground anywhere near the city i could find sorry buddy might be as close to the river as you can get if you wana camp. Good luck

I appreciate it. Thanks a bunch. I'll check it out though camping on the island sounds like prime :).

The river valley is not the best place to camp for comfort. Pooling of cold air will make the valley significantly colder than higher ground. Especially where topographic restrictions restrict circulation. I know this from personal experience.

Before you set up camp on an island be sure there's no rain in the forecast. Unexpected releases from the Bearspaw dam are likely less of a concern but be aware that it doesn't take much of a flow change to turn an easy wade into a dangerous one. There's an island in the Bow below my house and I'm scared myself in that crossing a couple of times. The Bow is not as deep generally as the NS but crossings can be broad and you can be a ways from shore before you find the deep channel. I have found signs of human habitation on this island.

I have a tent trailer in my back yard you could use (NW Calgary) that has a furnace but it sounds like you're looking for a more rustic experience.

• 2 weeks later...