Fly Fusion Forums

Why I Love Cheat Sheets

i wish chemistry had cheat sheets

When I took organic chem at U of C, the two profs teaching the course realized that the year's students were just not getting diastomers/enantiomers and whatever else they were teaching us. Two wks before finals they handed out a list of the 150+ reactions taught over the year - reactants and products. There were none of these electron pairs/free radicals approaching double bonds etc. But! We weren't allowed to bring this list into the exam. I spent two weeks studying the list and pulled a B without knowing a thing.

The only thing I remember is that ozonolysis splits double bonds and puts oxygens on the end. :lol:

Man, I don't miss exam time.

I had one Prof that taught Rock Mechanics who (in retrospect) set the most challenging exams. In the last class we asked him the usual questions. What's going to be covered in the final exam? Answer - Everything from day 1 in the course. Will it be open book? Answer - Yes, bring whatever books you want and whatever notes you want. Also the Engineering library will be available to you for whatever you think you might need. None of it will help you. Just don't ask any grad students to help you - they won't. How long will the exam be? Answer - It all depends how much attention you were paying in class. You should be able to finish it in 30 minutes, but I'll give everyone 4 hours.

We go into the exam expecting something heavy on the theory, instead he gave us a bunch of rock core logs and rock testing results, geological mapping and a plan view showing the location of the boreholes and the location of a proposed tunnel. The question - Design the support for the tunnel.

In one small question, we had to cover just about everything he taught in the course from day one. That was the single most challenging exam I've ever written. And yeah, I spend all four hours trying to figure things out. I don't think I put pen to paper for the first hour. Ended up with a B.

anal chemistry?? :blink: I think you probably shouldn't abbreviate it that way. makes it sound like a whole different type of exam.

It's not. Show up, bend over, lube, brace. At least, that's how my anal chem tests went :(