Fly Fusion Forums

Bullshead Opens April 1st But

So what's the difference between using bait and treble barbs on open water vs icefishing. Same rule, different water state? LOL. No difference between dropping a fish on the ice or in the mud. I'd make the case that mud is worse for a fish than ice. You're talking about poachers, not legal icefishermen. Would I be down there tomorrow with a corkie and a leech and an auger? Damn right, and so will a lot on this board that don't have the balls to say it and take the heat.

Would I be down there tomorrow with a corkie and a leech and an auger? Damn right, and so will a lot on this board that don't have the balls to say it and take the heat.

BALLS????.... I got huge BALLS....And so do most people on this forum....Most of us love... and live to flyfish....Be damned if I am going to ice fish at B.H....If this fishery is not open to fish in the early spring....let's leave it alone!!!... till we have open water...It's only going to benifit the fishery... that has only suffered of huge fish since 2006...

BALLS????.... I got huge BALLS....And so do most people on this forum....Most of us love... and live to flyfish....Be damned if I am going to ice fish at B.H....If this fishery is not open to fish in the early spring....let's leave it alone!!!... till we have open water...It's only going to benifit the fishery... that has only suffered of huge fish since 2005...

Your reply is exactly what will keep those forum members from posting their fishing location tomorrow ;) And people wonder why we have gear fly bait jetboat icefishing debates. Tako out ;)

So what's the difference between using bait and treble barbs on open water vs icefishing. Same rule, different water state? LOL. No difference between dropping a fish on the ice or in the mud. I'd make the case that mud is worse for a fish than ice.

I tend to agree somewhat but if that's case, what is the real reason that it's closed during the winter months if there is the same harm done either by open water or ice fishing? I'm assuming then that by closing it there is bonking going on only half the year and doesn't get cleaned out as fast???? Or do studies show that mortality rates do increase with ice fishing??? I'm not sure.

Your reply is exactly what will keep those forum members from posting their fishing location tomorrow ;) And people wonder why we have gear fly bait jetboat icefishing debates. Tako out ;)

I doubt any of the REAL flycasters from this Forum...Will be Ice fishing @ B.H. Tom.....Let alone... till it's open.... ;)

I tend to agree somewhat but if that's case, what is the real reason that it's closed during the winter months if there is the same harm done either by open water or ice fishing? I'm assuming then that by closing it there is bonking going on only half the year and doesn't get cleaned out as fast???? Or do studies show that mortality rates do increase with ice fishing??? I'm not sure.

Yeah, fish are in a depressed state in the winter. Whether it be Bullshead, the Bow, the North Sask or Dragon Lake. Fish are more susceptible to hooking mortality in the winter. The majority of icefishermen are your typical redneck joes. They have poor fish handling. Poor fish handling + weaker fish = more dead fish.

Cheers

I'd love to go ice fishing on BH but I am not going to..what I may do is go out there on my own and watch what others are doing. I am hoping that the gate is still locked and every sorry assed fisherman has to drag all there equipment 1/2 mile to the lake and I hope once they get there..they find there is 4 feet of 1/2 inch thick ice all away around the lake and they can't get on!

Speaking of lack of fish handling skills....boy is that the truth. I wish I had been able to contact a CO last year on several occasions. One time I was out there with my daughter and Grandson at the boat launch. 2 guys come along and put there 12 'aluminum in the water and have a conversation with their buddy in a green fish cat float tube. The 2 guys don't even get out of the bay and they catch a fish. They yell back and ask the guy in the tube if he has a tape measure..nope,they start coming back toward the launch site and ask us ..I don't carry one. The middle aged tall guy with glasses hops out of the boat and heads toward the parking lot...the fish is still lying in the boat..it's about 10 minutes later and four eyes returns with a stick with some marks on it. They were putting in the new gate on that day and this idiot walked all the way over there..got the workers to mark off the legal size measurement and then he came back to the launch! Meanwhile numbn*ts is out in the boat with another fish on waiting for his partner to return. Anyway..I was quite pissed at these 2 but bit my tongue..my grandson is too young to hear what I was thinking! The 2 dipsh*ts then measured their fish while moving away from the bay and I could tell by their actions that they were getting rid of the fish over the other side of the boat..one of the fish looked like it was belly up...it was a damned disgrace! On another snowy cold day I watched 2 guys fishing from shore and on 3 occasions one of the "fishermen" dragged a fish a good twenty feet on the groung back to where his partner was fishing to measure the fish! What the hell is that! Then threw the fish triumphantly into the water loudly declaring how great the fishing was but too bad none were keepers!! I watched them catch at least 10 fish and then they packed up and left. I heard them telling someone that they never caught any legal ones but I saw them put one fish inside a large tackle box. It just pi**es me off that this goes on out there. Now Police Lake is going with special regs...good luck trying to enforce that down there...that is bait chucker country!! As for ice fishing not being detrimental on the BH fishery I call a BIG BULL*HIT Buddy on that one and no I don't have to justify it ..anyone with a clue would know it is not good for this very special fishery!!

I doubt any of the REAL flycasters from this Forum...Will be Ice fishing @ B.H. Tom.....Let alone... till it's open.... ;)

What exactly is a real flycaster?

So if Tako loves to fly fish, does it all summer long, but uses a fly rod, leech, and corky (its an indi Tako!) through a hole in the ice, he is not a real flycaster?

I'd go. Catch 'em and release 'em, just like the other times I've been to Bullshead. Would be a welcome change from fighting the wind.

I didn't mean to make it sound like ice fishing is a bad thing...And I'm not saying Tako isn't a dedicaterd flycaster...What I meant as far as a real flycaster is...People that srtrictly flycast...Sometimes I take conservation a little to far...And find myself getting a little worked up over it...I'm very protective of Bullshead as it is close to home and is a fantastic fishery and a wish for it to stay that way. I'm not trying to start a batttle about ice fishing on Bullshead...I'm just voicing my opinion.

Cheers...Jeff....C&R... :D

As for ice fishing not being detrimental on the BH fishery I call a BIG BULL*HIT Buddy on that one and no I don't have to justify it ..anyone with a clue would know it is not good for this very special fishery!!

Cheers to that...alot of people have not fished Bullshead on a daily basis in the spring...as I have in the past ...To see some of the *hit that goes on out there! And trust me... there is alot of crap that goes on...and have called the CO's many times. ^_^

As for ice fishing not being detrimental on the BH fishery I call a BIG BULL*HIT Buddy on that one and no I don't have to justify it ..anyone with a clue would know it is not good for this very special fishery!!

You missed my point as I described in my second post and you're right you don't have to justify it.

Hey Jeff,

No worries, just wanted to point out how it sounded.

And not to piss off all those who've worked hard to turn BH and Outpost to trohpy lakes, but I would submit this is not a conservation issue. These are stocked lakes. I am 100 per cent for maintaining these lakes, and creating others, as trophy fisheries. But it isn't in the name of conservation.

Hey Jeff,

No worries, just wanted to point out how it sounded.

And not to piss off all those who've worked hard to turn BH and Outpost to trohpy lakes, but I would submit this is not a conservation issue. These are stocked lakes. I am 100 per cent for maintaining these lakes, and creating others, as trophy fisheries. But it isn't in the name of conservation.

No worries on this end either....Cheers to a good season of casting!! :):D

Gents,

The only way you will prevent the predation of fish to any body of water is to say " no, you can't fish here". Once in my younger days; a friend and I hiked to JOB lake, just to see the place. Never dipped a rod/fly, but, did enjoy the 4 day round trip ( must remember that was 20 years ago ). The lake was perfect, the rises were plentiful and I was 50 lbs lighter.

Today, it's all about CONVIENCE. If a gomer can drive to it, he's gonna exploit it.

Anybody can view this site, buy the annual " Alberta Fishing Guide " or drive their god damn ATV where ever they want.

I know I'm still a rookie here, but, some information is too available to those that have no respect.

I've only been to Bullshead twice. Enjoyed a couple of multi fish days. But, lakes are my zone and I'll be damned if I tell some gomer how to catch my fish.

Make the lake no gas, no bait (already done, but, not heavily enforced), fly only and Alberta resident only. This action will undoubtely cause our license fee to increase, but, we'll know that the government is NOT paying a person to patrol the area and that general tax revenues have increased.

Question ?? Have you seen the advertisements on the web that now pinpoint Bullshead as a trophy destination ? There's a few folks that are already making some cash, courtesy of our taxes.

That's my rant for now. You'll either hate/like me for my bluntness. I still kmow a few places, where GOMERS don't go.

Cheers, chronie63

Guest Sundancefisher
Hell NO troutlover.. I meant cooling....been cooling since 1998.

Temperatures_since_2003.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7329799.stm

Interesting article. Happens more and more frequently. This is where scientists see data that shows the reverse of global warming or just normal temperature fluctuations and say that proves the global warming theory.

I actually heard a "scientist" on Discovery channel say not an exact quote but basically "...as you can see the temperature has been falling for some years now. When we compare to our global temperature models, we see this happening which further proves the global warming premise..."

LMAO when I hear this as a scientist myself. People are reacting now to hearsay and speculation and conjecture rather than really understanding the hypothesis, methodology and results and statistical and personal bias in these so called studies.

Damn I wish global warming was here this Spring. Way too much ice on the lakes still.

Cheers.

Sun