Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing In Jasper Park?

Well, I am renting a cabin in Jasper for a few days and was hoping to get some good fishing in for some native rainbows and bulls. I will be going in mid-July. The Maligne River opens August 1st, so that is not an option. My cabin is near the Miette and Athabasca Rivers, and I probably will give them a try. I might also try Maligne Lake. Anyone have any ideas about this area?

You might get screwed by the runoff situation.

Native Rainbows your best bet is the Atha-B (river not the bar...haha) within the park. Outside you're looking at other river systems entirely for natives.

Bulls, your best bet (without giving away any secrets) is the Athabasca River again. There are other places but they are VERY susceptible to over fishing and I won't give those away...sorry. Mind you if you had the time to explore and were sure they were open...you might find them on your own.

So if the river cooperates - your best bet is to fish that. I wouldn't bother with the Miette River. Check the status on other rivers in the area (yes, Maligne is closed). Snake is likely silted and low down has never been a big producer of fish. Whirlpool might get a few fish but pretty clear fast water without much fishy food so it's only a bit better than the Snake.

I'd spend 90% of my time fishing Malinge Lake, or Beaver, or Moab, Valley of the Five lakes, or other lakes in the area that are open for fishing.

There are some very large bulls in the Athabasca if you find a good spot and hit the right lure/fly.

Maligne Lake, if you've never fished it is defiantly worth it. A good guide is not wasted money on that lake as you can sometimes get into days of fishing where you lose track of the number of fish you've caught. Some days like any lake though (to be fair) are a bit of a bust or only a fish or two. A good spring day of fishing on that lake has resulted in literally dozens and dozens of quality fish (brookies and rainbows) in a day.

The lakes on the bench are likely close to devoid now due to limited stocking (unless you count Cabin where fishing is now allowed in season). Alternately you might consider crossing into BC and fishing some of those waters in Robson Park - don't forget a BC license though.

If you're in doubt phone 780-852-5650 and talk to Lorne or Brenda for information on guided trips/boat rentals, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Talbot lake can be fun for pike if you feel like it. Pyramid lake is a great setting and usually sees some good rising in the evening it has rainbows, lakers and whities. I caught some of all those species off the surface there last night. Not my first laker on a fly but my first one on a dry fly. What a blast. What griz says is spot on. Maligne lake is definately the destination if you have good weather. But you would be advised to get a guide on maligne, not crucial but it would help big time

Well, I am renting a cabin in Jasper for a few days and was hoping to get some good fishing in for some native rainbows and bulls. I will be going in mid-July. The Maligne River opens August 1st, so that is not an option. My cabin is near the Miette and Athabasca Rivers, and I probably will give them a try. I might also try Maligne Lake. Anyone have any ideas about this area?

You won't be far from lakes just outside NP such as Wildhorse.

Maligne is the best choice but if want to hike Geraldine would be worth exploring.

Guest TerryH
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the area Grizz. I appreciate it.

What's wrong with the Miette? Not many fish or hard to fish?

I will give the Athabasca a go. What patterns work well in the silty water?

I don't know if this is still the case, but at one time, there used to be pike in the Miette. I used to see them where it crosses the Parkway, in some of the side channels that flooded during runoff. I don't think there's much in the way of trout in the Miette, and the pike may be the reason.

If you want to have some fun catching Rockies, try small nymphs (i.e. prince, GRHE, etc.) just downstream of where the Maligne River comes in (access via the 6th bridge picnic area). You'll have to use some split shot to get them down though, because the rockies are right on the bottom in the deeper water. Bring some Clousers too, because often there are big Bulls in that area when the rockies are around. Caught a real nice one there a few years back -- it kept chomping on the Rockies I was catching, so I fed him a black and white Clouser.

Terry

You used to be able to purchase a fishing licence right at the park gate on your way into the park in the comfort of your own cushy car seat.

You could stop in the "Arsehole of the world" (aka Hinton) and get one too.