Fly Fusion Forums

Wigwam River

Wondering if anyone has fished the Wigwam last year and when is the best time to go, and if the fishing is good?

I fished it with a friend from Calgary last August. We had to each pay $20 for the day and I had to spend a little more on a BC single-day license. It was alright. We went up the canyon and then down on the flats downstream of where the Lodgepole joins. It was a weekday and there were a bunch of people fishing there. There were lots of big bulls laying in the bottom of pools, I wasn't really into fishing for them but they were cool to watch. There are a fair number of Cutts working along with some whitefish. The Cutt fishing was ok, I think I got about 10 and probably would have got more if the sun was shining.

I am glad I went, the canyon is gorgeous and the water is very clear. If you aren't into the bulls, the fishing is about the same as the Cutts we have in Alberta. I will probably go back some day but I am not sure when.

Cheers,

Tim

Lol...even funnier is that they can spawn depending on water temps anywhere between late August to Late October....So I guess you should stay away from the Bulls from Early August to November, just to be safe.

Been going to the Wigwam for most of my life FishGutter and it's not what it used to be, but worth a trip just the same. It's beautiful and the fishing is still pretty good, but be prepared to walk....a lot.

The Bulls in the Wigwam don't start to spawn until the end of September, unless it's an unusually extended hot summer and fall, so you should be safe through most of August and September to plan a trip if you are after Bulls.

If you want Cutties, it's good from opening day til closing day.

Check the regs close because we found out that some of the confusing definitions, "Artificial Fly" and "Fly Fishing only" are being enforced in the area.

If you do a search here, there are some pics from our trip last fall. There's a video or two from the Wiggy as well from myself and the Humble Fisherman as well you might find by searching.

I won't fish for bulls during those months. Pisses me off to see people holding up bright orange bulltrout. If that's the only time you can be successful targeting bulls, you suck.

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated...probably hit it in late july and go for some cuts and see if i can get the odd bull......heard its a beauty of a river..

Don't want to start a big argument, but how is that any different than fishing to steelies or to salmon?

Wiggy's a nice place, but be very bear aware. A few years ago when I was there we saw two black bears in there and saw LOTS more sign. Also, be very careful crossing it if it's been raining at all. It can come up in a hurry and it can become very tough to return where you crossed. A few of my buddies wound up going for a swim there and Conor and I almost had to pull Korban out a few years back. Be safe.

beautiful river, worth the trip. But do your research...really easy to get lost on the trip in, finding an access point, going up stream, going down stream, falling in and going down stream, on the way out, etc.

Don't go by yourself. Did that once and swore I'd never do it again.

beautiful river, worth the trip. But do your research...really easy to get lost on the trip in, finding an access point, going up stream, going down stream, falling in and going down stream, on the way out, etc.

Don't go by yourself. Did that once and swore I'd never do it again.

I've heard that as well. It sounds stupid, but all the mountains down there look the same when you're in em :blink:

I went there with MTB last year. Full contact fishing! MTB and his cousin graded the run by how difficult it was to get to and fish and then land fish once you hooked them. From green (we didn't fish any of those) to double black diamonds (we did fish a couple of those). I agree with Bloom, go with someone who's been there before!

Guest bigbadbrent
Don't want to start a big argument, but how is that any different than fishing to steelies or to salmon?

steelheading is harder

:P

I won't fish for bulls during those months. Pisses me off to see people holding up bright orange bulltrout. If that's the only time you can be successful targeting bulls, you suck.

Just want to thank you for once again coming into a thread and pushing your opinion on everyone.

If this is your opinion on Bulls, then I can't see how you could fish for any Salmonidae except for a few select weeks that they might not be "Close" to spawning. If you are fishing for one species that is not spawning, you might accidentally hook into a species that is "Close". So just to be safe, we should just not fish.

Weren't you just fishing for Rainbows? How dare you target them, being that they are so "close" to spawning.

I guess you could limit your fishing to Triploids.

Back on topic. If you head to the area of the Wigwam, don't limit yourself to just the Wigwam if you have the time. There are a number of great little Streams in the area to explore.

As for the disclosure of secret spots....The Wigwam is not a secret anymore, (if it ever really was). People don't like to hear it mentioned, but knowing that the river exists and knowing how to get to the area won't help you anyway. The River is crawling with Guides every day, along with people across the continent that have read about it in various magazines.

As Rick said, finding your way in and out is the tough part. Don't go alone or with someone else that hasn't been before, or you'll have a frustrating and disappointing trip.

It's also the number 2 most populated Grizzly Bear valley in North America, so bring Spray, Bangers and what ever else you can get your hands on. You don't often see them, but they're close by most of the time.

It's also the number 2 most populated Grizzly Bear valley in North America, so bring Spray, Bangers and what ever else you can get your hands on. You don't often see them, but they're close by most of the time.

My fishing partner and I usually see a bear 50% of the time in there (angling and non-angling adventures), and it's almost always a surprise encounter within close quarters. I can't stress this enough, don't go alone. Besides, some of the walks in are sketchy as well and it's good to know someone's there in case you fall and break something. We've fished it a few times in the last couple years and for us it's been a disappointment. Perhaps some of it has to do with angler skill but for the most part the cutty fishing is slow, if non-existant (yes, we both got skunked one day) and all of the bulls are seasoned and usually uninterested in anything we have to offer. We don't normally mind poor fishing, but when you each have to pay $20/day on top of a regular license it's hard not to come away somewhat bitter.

I suggest you check it out in any case, it's probably one of the most beautiful spots around, just don't go with any expectations, because if you do you may find the rumors to be grossly over exaggerated.

Guest bigbadbrent

hope they enjoyed the article in Canadian Fly Fisher last month...

I'm pretty sure nearly everyone in SA that fishes steadily knows about the 'Wam, but never have fished it

That's your opinion, and you can have it. I find it akin to yanking salmon or steelhead off the reds. The fish aren't spawning yet, but they're saving up their energy in prep for it. Like I said, it takes next to nothing in the skill department to aggravate a big bull that is in pre-spawn mode. If you're only successful at that time of the year, it's probably time to re-evaluate your fly fishing technique. Tako out

That's your opinion, and you can have it. I find it akin to yanking salmon or steelhead off the reds. The fish aren't spawning yet, but they're saving up their energy in prep for it. Like I said, it takes next to nothing in the skill department to aggravate a big bull that is in pre-spawn mdont ode. If you're only successful at that time of the year, it's probably time to re-evaluate your fly fishing technique. Tako out

[/quote

Tako dont get me wrong I'm not into gettin a bull in pre-spawn mode and braggin about hookin into one. I just want to see this river and get a few cutts and enjoy it. if i get a bull in late July I would be happy just as much as hookin into a few nice cutts