Fly Fusion Forums

Breathable Waders This Time Of Year..

birchy

Finally got myself a pair of Wardell breathables today! Planning on hitting the Crow tomorrow.. forecast says +5 for the afternoon.

How much do I need to wear underneath? Will one pair of long john's be enough or should I put some jogging pants over those as well?

Finally got myself a pair of Wardell breathables today! Planning on hitting the Crow tomorrow.. forecast says +5 for the afternoon.

How much do I need to wear underneath? Will one pair of long john's be enough or should I put some jogging pants over those as well?

More is ALWAYS better, you can take off a layer if need be. My reco would be a light pair of polypro long johns and a thicker fleece pair. One pair of Poly liner socks and a thick pair of wool or polly socks!

Tight lines!

Peter

Were I going tomorrow I'd just wear jeans under. When it is colder I wear polyprop underwear under the jeans.

Careful with the feet. Neo sock feet unfortunately never as warm as bootfoots. (Love my old bootfoots!) But DO NOT (repeat DO NOT) put on too many socks. You are better with one snug pair than two thick pairs that are too damn tight--yer feet will freeze if too tightly packed.

I've been wearing polypro long johns and fleece pants under my breathables without feeling too hot. Tuesday I was out on the Bow for a few hours in just the long johns and I started feeling a little cold after a few hours. Keep in mind it wasn't very sunny and I didn't do a lot of hiking.

Most importantly, make sure to wear breathable stuff under your breathable waders or it defeats the purpose. Patagonia, Simms, Columbia, Helly Hansen, and a lot of the MEC baselayer stuff is breathable. MEC will be the best bang for your buck. Avoid wearing anything cotton at all costs since it isn't breathable. If you perspire and it stays against your skin, then that will just end up making you cold and clammy. After wearing my breathables I turn them inside out to dry because there ends up being moisture inside the neoprene stockings. Without breathable socks that would stay against your skin.

put it to you this way...i wear a pair of sweatpants and thermal socks throughout the winter in temps ranging from -15 to +5 and i've never been uncomfortable...

Amen. I second that. I got pretty thick skin though (I've been seen wet wading the bow in Nov... lol) :P

Head down to MEC and get a pair of Trek pants for $36. Real Polartec 200 at a heckuva price. Polartec is environmentally friendly, ridiculously comfy, really warm, and doesn't absorb water like cotton does.

I also have a pair of Polartec 100 pants that I wear in the transitional weather, but if you're going to have one pair you can't beat the heavier stuff.

So I ended up wearing some long john's with jogging pants over top. Was cozy as could be on the Crow yesterday afternoon/evening. Caught 6, including a couple nice bows. Man those Crow Bow's are gorgeous!!

The only logical explanation... must've been the waders.

thanks for the tips boys!