Fly Fusion Forums

Portable Gear

cdock

I have a Plano container that I use for my fly tying portable stuff. Here is a few pics.

Fly_tying_kit.jpg

Top of box. Tinsel, floss.

First_layer_of_tying_box.jpg

First layer. Tools, thread, hooks, beads.

Second_layer_of_tying_box.jpg

Second layer. Flashabou, coneheads, barbells, chenille, vice and base, rubber legs, bottles of head cement, hard as hull, flexcement.

Bottom_layer_of_tying_box.jpg

Bottom layer. Bucktails, calf tails, marabou, pheasant tails, capes, hackles, squirel tails, deer hair, and all the other things I can't find a place for. Plus a few books for good measure.

Rob

That has taken a number of years to get to that point. I had to straighten it up quite a bit for the picture. It doesn't always look that neat and tidy.

My wife bought me that box for Christmas when my handle from my old box broke. It had just a wee bit of a weight issue. When I went through to load this box up I found double and tripple things that I had aquired over the years. But at least now I know where everything is.

Rob

I keep a similar box, as I do most of my tieing on the road with work. I keep all the basics, and pull other material in and out as needed.

Be careful with these. People like to pull tool boxes out of trucks. It would be a huge loss for me, and probably worthless to the person who took it.

Fishpond has a couple of fly tying bags that would be perfect for travel. Here is the link to one of the two. I have been thinking of picking one up so i can bring something a little more organized than a couple shoeboxes and some zip lock bags full of my gear when going somewhere. I have seen them at wholesale sports, not sure where else carries them.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/coyote.cfm

Nice little box there Dryfly. It's amazing how much one can put in even something that compact.

Conor Posted Yesterday, 06:17 PM

Be careful with these. People like to pull tool boxes out of trucks. It would be a huge loss for me, and probably worthless to the person who took it.

You are so right Conor. I worry any time I have to leave that box in my truck for any length of time. I usually don't leave it in. Unless I'm going to be close by.

Tie1on24, that is a nice little carrying case. But the $169 price tag would scare most people away.

Rob

I have a really large custom made portable box my wife bought me about 15 years ago, but more often than not I use this one that a friend made for me. I put enough materials for 2 or three patterns in a Zip-Loc bag which fits in the box/ there is provision for spool and tool storage. Small but practical.

Tying_kit_003.jpg