Fly Fusion Forums

Windshield Chip Repair

Anyone ever had windshield chips filled? Good, bad, useless? Also is there a difference between the ones that set up in mall parking lots and getting it done at a glass shop? I have a few chips that could turn into cracks next time the car is up on a lift or the temp fluctuates a lot.

Most shops will guarantee there repairs. I did the ones at mall a few yrs ago and month later cracked started at repair area and went the lenght of the window. Went back to the mall and he was long gone. I just got a new windshield and already got rock chip in it. So I'll be off to the windsheild place for repair. Part of my new warranty on my new windsheild is 3 free crack repairs.

I work for speedy glass so I see chips everyday all day. I know that speedy glass, standard autoglass, and apple autoglass all guarantee with a cross country warranty that it will not spread. Some of them turn out really good and you can't even tell it was there and others don't look good but get the job done from having it spread. I heard the guys in the mall just use a system that can be bought at any auto store like canadian tire or princess auto so if you want to try it yourself you can go pick up a home kit from those store for around $10-15. If you are in lethbridge and need a chip done then just stop by speedy glass and ask for nathan. I will gladly fill in a chip for free for people on the board. Just make sure to mention to me that you are part of the ffc or I won't have a clue and then you will get charged for it.

Thanks for the offer Nathan, but I'm in Calgary so it would be a bit of a drive to get it done. Guess I'll get it done at one of the local glass shops. Hadn't really thought about any warranties or guarantees on it so I'll avoid the mall parking lot ones. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the offer Nathan, but I'm in Calgary so it would be a bit of a drive to get it done. Guess I'll get it done at one of the local glass shops. Hadn't really thought about any warranties or guarantees on it so I'll avoid the mall parking lot ones. Thanks guys.

I had a guy that the Mazda dealership uses (and reco'd). The 3 chips I had done haven't spread and it's been a year) He seems pretty reasonable (the more you have the lower the price of the additional repairs - pretty common price structure I understand). PM me if you would like his contact info...

Cheers,

Peter

Headscan

The guy at the C tire gas bar in Shawnessey does a good job. had many filled there in the past 3 years and all have lasted. He is honest and even told me of some that did not need filling as they were surface chips and not going to crack. he was right. 20 bucks for the first and 10 after for each I think.