Fly Fusion Forums

Taking Fly Tying Gear Across The Border

Lundvike

I am leaving for a couple of weeks to go on a training course in Milwaukee and I am going to have some time in the evenings to kill so I figured I would try to be productive and tie some flies. Does anyone know of any restrictions to bringing gear and material into the states?

Taking synthetic materials will be the safest route to go...polar bear and seal are not legal in the US according to the last info I have heard on illegal materials. Perhaps asking this question on a US based board will give you better and more up to date info.

As previously stated, anything that could be construed as a weapon, with the exception of rod tubes, should be checked. We've had no trouble bringing tying materials on the plane or in in the car, though we have no seal, polar bear, swan or bald eagle :).

I don't know what's hatching where you're going, but in the part of cheeseland where we fish, the little black stoneflies are catching lots of fish. Use a sz 14 or 16 hook and basically tie a black caddis fly pattern with some kind of hi vis spot or post.

Grey, pink, tan and olive scuds are also pretty good bets. Shoot Henry a note and ask him what they're biting on and you can narrow down your tying needs.

If you are taking a NEW expensive vise such as a Nor Vise you may want to get a slip of paper exiting the country so they don't accuse you of buying it in the USA and charge you GST on it coming back. I've never had issues with camera gear tho.

The security pricks took a small, 5-inch pair of needle nose pliers out of my carry-on when we went to Cuba. I was also carrying a lighter and flammable hand cleaner and they let them through -- as they did two heavy reels and rods. I told Super Dick that I was going to write a letter of complaint the and he said, "Your carry-on bag is over sized, I'd just keep moving along if I were you."

They got you by the short ones.

We had no issues with lines on reels. Actually it was a tad strange. We had all sorts of heavy tackle in our carry-on and all they pulled the small pliers. I think they NEED to find small picky stuff now and then just so the systems feels it is accomplishing something while in reality doing nothing to improve security.

I was flying out of Leth last month and a little ol' lady had her knitting stuff in her small suitcase (she wanted to carry on) and she had a pair of 4-inch scissors...they made her check the bag. It is all nutso...as if this isn't a weapon....but no 4-inch pliers. :lol::lol:

buckle_4.jpg

I have to say, if you going on a plane avoid a carry on altogether, i take a couple mags and a book, and what in my pockets. You can Buy insurance for your check baggage, ive flown a TON like like at least 10 times a years, and never had my luggage lost. My father in law was a platinum member on air Canada and once they misplaced his luggage. Luggage gets lost but very uncommon. Heck ive checked over 10,000$ in tools several times this year and not a single problem.

bottom line don't like the security going though your stuff, check it.

On and on the fly tying materials, call american customs they are very friendly and will answer all your questions.