Fly Fusion Forums

Recomended Pike Fishing Setup?

Spring is coming and with spring comes fishing....but before trout season starts there is Pike season. I am graduating from college in April and my gf suggested that she buy me a new fly fishing setup for my grad present. I've never tried fly fishing for Pike, so I am somewhat clueless. I'd be looking at purchasing a decent pike setup in the $250-300 range if it is possible. I do have access to an aluminum boat to get around a lake, but does one need a belly boat as well to fish, or would waders work well enough to fish weedbeds, etc? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated....Cheers

Guest bigbadbrent

Don't need anything too fancy for pike, unless you want it to turn around and do salt water if you're given a chance.

I'd look at getting a TFO or Sage Launch in a #8, 9'0". Any 100-150 dollar reel will be fine, if you're only worrying about pike

in my experiences, that sums it up in the evenings till dusk in the summers...not necessarily the case in spring and fall though...

Pike scare the hell outta me. I wouldn't want to fishem at dark. I'd be too afraid of fallin outta the boat

just don't do what my ex did...one time i was out in the old cartopper with her fishing away and she was laying down to catch some sun...my back was turned to her when all of a sudden, i heard a splash and a scream...i turned around and her hand is absolutely bloodied...yep, you guessed it, she was dozing and had her hand dangling in the water over the side and a pike came up and took a nip at her...21 stitches later and a vow to never go fishing with me again spelled the end of of a great summer fling...freakin gators... :lol:

i have been fishing for pike in saskatchewen since i was 3.

family owns a farm on the lake.

my grandpa and i were out fishing and brought back 3 decent pike and our limit of pickeral sp? for lunch

we had bonked them with a club and put them on a stringer. we got off the lake and walked to the shop to filet the fish.

when my grandpa took the stringer out of a 10 pound pike the thing jumped at his hand!

it cut the *hit out of him way worse then the guy in the video.

pike are pretty rowdy fish i hate swiming anywhere near weeds in lakes that have them.

My pike set up is:

9' 8wt TFO TiCrX rod (the TiCr is just as good and a little cheaper);

9 wt AirFlow Ridgeline

Tioga Reel

20 lb leader

Tyger Wyre leader

I am guessing that all in that would cost in the neighbourhood of $500. I think you would be fine with a regular SA line and a less expensive reel, but I would try to stick with a fast action rod.

The best part about it is that I use the same rod and reel for my Bow River streamer rod and for steelheading on the Island (but I have a spare spool for the reel loaded with a sink tip line for the streamer fishing). It's actually quite a versatile rig and worth the extra money.

Don't forget a set of good pliers and one of those metal thingys you use to prop open the pike's mouth (which are invaluable for the inevitable deeper hook ups).

I build (assemble) rods and I like an 9' 8 wt. for pike and a bit softer..........This is good because the Forecast blanks are perfect---and cheap!!........If you know anyone who builds or if you build rods yourself you can do up a pretty nice rig for about $100..........Any decent reel (I like the Pfleuger Trion or President which are about $130 or so) that will hold an 8 WF floating line (Cortland used to make a pike taper but not sure they do any more but no need to get real fancy and if you're on a tight budget cheap is fine here too) with 50-100 yards of 20 pound backing will do........Pike seldom run very far but big pike dog it and can be fun to land........

Jaw spreaders are a must and most tackle shops have them........Poppers and pike flies are easy to tie and if you tie yourself look at Dryfly's pike page for help here and some other useful tips as well such as how to snell them with wire leader which is also a must......... http://members.shaw.ca/clives/pikeflyfish.html

I also use a glove for big fish as it just makes them a bit easier to handle.......Pike are a hoot in the spring and fall but most action is in the 4-5 foot depth range....For evenings in the summer when they take poppers are about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.........Enjoy!!