Fly Fusion Forums

Reel Selection

ReelLife

I am taking the Loop Spey Clinic with Brian in May and as of yet do not own a Spey Rod. I thought I would try some of Brian's set-ups before deciding (even though he did recommend to me for my fishing purpose to consider a Loop Multi 7120).

I am currently in need of an 8 weight single hand rod for pike fishing in lakes and rivers and so thought about getting a reel that could be used for both the spey rod and the single hand 8 weight. I am considering the Ross CLA 4 http://www.rossreels.com/products/cla/cla.cfm to use for both applications. What do you think of this choice and are there any other comparable reels that I should maybe consider. Note: the Ross reel retails for $230.00 and spare spools for $120.00.

Thank you.

Tim

Getting a spey line on an 8 weight reel would be tough, if not impossible. You also may want a heavier reel that can counterbalance the rod. Typically the reels used for this are in the 10-12 weight class, and would be too heavy for an 8-weight.

I just went through the frustrations of choosing reels for spey lines back in January. It really depends on the line weight of you spey rod and the type of line you put on it I think. On the Ross site it says that you can put 125 yards of backing on that reel with a 6/7/8 spey line, but they don't specify which spey line exactly or even if that's 20# or 30# dacron. Some spey lines are longer than others and some have heavier heads. So that reel might be ok for you if you just go with a mid-belly spey line or scandi line, but might be too small for a skagit line unless you use gelspun backing.

I'd ask Brian, Courtney, or maybe the guys at Fish Tales if they have any experience putting spey lines on that reel and capacities. Keep in mind that the manufacturer's capacity numbers don't necessarily match real world. I experienced first hand a reel that took a line when it was spooled tightly in the store on a machine, but once I used it and reeled it back in manually it didn't fit any more.

Perhaps I can be of some help with this..In my experience,the reel used for Spey casting ,IMO,should be large enough to not only balance the rod but do the job it is asked to do..thats why they make spey reels. Choosing the right line is always a task for Spey Casters and there are many to chhose from...a longer bellied line takes up a lot of line capacity a short head spey line can fit :just" on a Ross Big Canyon #5. I recommend Switch rod casters use a 9/10 reel with capacities such as a Snowbee XS 910, Spey casters use a larger reel such as the XS1112. Many reel manufacturers produce such size reels but do take into consideration physical weight and capacity. It is better to have extra capacity than to ruin the coatings on fly lines that cost $100 plus .

Useing Gel Spun backing offers an element of extra space when needed but rarely is the answer.

In an earlier post I mentioned that Snowbee has in 2008 brought out a cassett reel that is the big brother to the award winning XSD780 cassett reel system. This reel has been long awaited for from the Spey World in that it not only has a great drag system,salt water friendly but has 4 extra spools and more if you need them...and retails for less that $200...and more importantly,has plenty of capacity for any line you wish to use.

You might also have a look at the Pflueger President. I have been very happy with this reel and presently own two.

Is it the model 2090 you have for your Spey rod? What type of Spey lines are you able to put on it?

Don't think you can get a better spey reel for the price then a Teton Tioga 12LA.

Ok let me ask you what types of spey lines can you put on it? I am getting confused because let's say I have a 7wt spey rod. Would I use this reel? In addition, am I to understand that for an eight weight single hand rod being used for bulls and pike I need a different reel? Do many different weight spey rods potentially use the same large arbor reels but just have different amounts of backing? Or am I to conclude that I must only use a reel specialized for spey rods with no ability to cross over to the single hand? Please look at my original post and tell me is there a reel that can be used for the two applications I have mentioned. Thank you.

Islandguy says:In an earlier post I mentioned that Snowbee has in 2008 brought out a cassett reel that is the big brother to the award winning XSD780 cassett reel system. This reel has been long awaited for from the Spey World in that it not only has a great drag system,salt water friendly but has 4 extra spools and more if you need them...and retails for less that $200...and more importantly,has plenty of capacity for any line you wish to use.

Do you have a link to this reel. I went to the Snowbee site and could not find it. Is there a particular spey rod weight that this reel can be matched.

Guest bigbadbrent

I have my Tioga #12 on my 7 Weight, 13 foot 6" spey rod, and its absolutely perfectly balanced. It is holding my Rio 7/8/9 Rio Scandinavian Head, Slickshooter mono running line, and with something like 200 yards of backing.

The thing with spey lines are, they're massive (especially if you're looking at anything that is a shooting head, like a scandi or a skagit). They take up way more room then any single hander lines.

You could put any and all spey lines on that reel..

A reel for a 7 weight spey, will need to be bigger then a 7 or an 8 weight single hander. Period

I have my Tioga #12 on my 7 Weight, 13 foot 6" spey rod, and its absolutely perfectly balanced. It is holding my Rio 7/8/9 Rio Scandinavian Head, Slickshooter mono running line, and with something like 200 yards of backing.

The thing with spey lines are, they're massive (especially if you're looking at anything that is a shooting head, like a scandi or a skagit). They take up way more room then any single hander lines.

You could put any and all spey lines on that reel..

A reel for a 7 weight spey, will need to be bigger then a 7 or an 8 weight single hander. Period

OK: looks like I am in for two reels :( .

Guest bigbadbrent

You could possibly get away getting a 10 or 11 weight reel, and then bumping that pike line up to a 9 (which i would do anyway, cause you're tossing big bugs)

Islandguy says:In an earlier post I mentioned that Snowbee has in 2008 brought out a cassett reel that is the big brother to the award winning XSD780 cassett reel system. This reel has been long awaited for from the Spey World in that it not only has a great drag system,salt water friendly but has 4 extra spools and more if you need them...and retails for less that $200...and more importantly,has plenty of capacity for any line you wish to use.

Do you have a link to this reel. I went to the Snowbee site and could not find it. Is there a particular spey rod weight that this reel can be matched.

The new Snowbee XSD1112 Cassett reel isn't available for another couple of weeks..their web site will reflect this once in the hands of the dealers. It is however listed and pictured in the 2008 catalogue . It is retailing in Europe for 89 GBP...or approx.$180 CDN...

To clarify "any line you may wish to choose" the are Spey lines available that will take up the entire huge capacity . SA's XLT ,now reduced in size was about 145' in length and had a belly of near 100 feet. The Carron 95 has a belly of near 95',Snowbee's 4D has a belly of 84',and so on..........even the smaller 6/7 weight Spey lines in these offerings take up a lot of room.Short head Spey lines such as the Skagit,Elixir, Scandanavian,SA's Short Head,Air Flos, Shooting heads and so on have large diametere bodies but are condensed into 27-36' typically....some a bit longer...running lines used for this type of set-up require little capacity use...Ie: I have a Snowbee Scandanavian Short Head Spey line,full sinking head mounted into a Snowbee XSD 780 Cassett reel system,the line is 194' in length(head length is 44') as are all Snowbee SSHS lines....little backing is required... but I am scrapping the coatings on the line.;I just simply don't have enough large reels to go around...and there are "no" quality drag cassett systems on the market until now. Hardy has just introduced the new Demon reel,cassett system,at $500 it should be good .

If you are just getting into Spey casting I would suggest you purchase more than just One line....a quality well designed floating line will be the best investment you can make to reduce your learning curve and reinforce your positive abilities. Shooting head systems like the Elixir,Skagit and Scandi' and great fishing tools and make it possible to be relatively successful quickly.

As far as matching rod/reel goes,again I would suggest this size reel with any Two Hander larger than a small 5/6 wt.,unless you are getting into the ever increaseing popularity of 13,14,15' plus 5/6/7 trouters. The advantage of a cassett system is it's obvious ability to give many options in hand! And the key to very successful fishing of all types is ability to suit conditions. I would rather fish with many new Hardy Zane Ti's but out of my leaque and a fairly stupid practice.

Once you have nailed down your style then make the big purchase of a great reel to then match your then great rod.

The new Snowbee XSD1112 Cassett reel isn't available for another couple of weeks..their web site will reflect this once in the hands of the dealers. It is however listed and pictured in the 2008 catalogue . It is retailing in Europe for 89 GBP...or approx.$180 CDN...

To clarify "any line you may wish to choose" the are Spey lines available that will take up the entire huge capacity . SA's XLT ,now reduced in size was about 145' in length and had a belly of near 100 feet. The Carron 95 has a belly of near 95',Snowbee's 4D has a belly of 84',and so on..........even the smaller 6/7 weight Spey lines in these offerings take up a lot of room.Short head Spey lines such as the Skagit,Elixir, Scandanavian,SA's Short Head,Air Flos, Shooting heads and so on have large diametere bodies but are condensed into 27-36' typically....some a bit longer...running lines used for this type of set-up require little capacity use...Ie: I have a Snowbee Scandanavian Short Head Spey line,full sinking head mounted into a Snowbee XSD 780 Cassett reel system,the line is 194' in length(head length is 44') as are all Snowbee SSHS lines....little backing is required... but I am scrapping the coatings on the line.;I just simply don't have enough large reels to go around...and there are "no" quality drag cassett systems on the market until now. Hardy has just introduced the new Demon reel,cassett system,at $500 it should be good .

If you are just getting into Spey casting I would suggest you purchase more than just One line....a quality well designed floating line will be the best investment you can make to reduce your learning curve and reinforce your positive abilities. Shooting head systems like the Elixir,Skagit and Scandi' and great fishing tools and make it possible to be relatively successful quickly.

As far as matching rod/reel goes,again I would suggest this size reel with any Two Hander larger than a small 5/6 wt.,unless you are getting into the ever increaseing popularity of 13,14,15' plus 5/6/7 trouters. The advantage of a cassett system is it's obvious ability to give many options in hand! And the key to very successful fishing of all types is ability to suit conditions. I would rather fish with many new Hardy Zane Ti's but out of my leaque and a fairly stupid practice.

Once you have nailed down your style then make the big purchase of a great reel to then match your then great rod.

Well I'll be in England for a couple of weeks starting early April. Maybe the reels will be available for me to see at that time. At the end of April I might be going to the Island and so could swing by your shop.

Well I'll be in England for a couple of weeks starting early April. Maybe the reels will be available for me to see at that time. At the end of April I might be going to the Island and so could swing by your shop.

Well,If I can get a few shops in your area off their Butts,they will be available in Calgary and throughout Alberta...in the mean time you can order online ...Nile Creek Fly Shop

Is it the model 2090 you have for your Spey rod? What type of Spey lines are you able to put on it?

Yep it's the Pflueger President model 2090. Lots of capacity. I've had a Windcutter 7/8 with 150 yards of backing on one, Ridge running line with 450 grain Rio head etc on it with 150 yards of backing and still plenty of elbow room on it. Lots of good reels out there mentioned before.