Fly Fusion Forums

Saturday's Gongshow

...those of us that are forced to live in a frozen wasteland. Gotto get your trout fix somehow. For those of you planning a fly trip to Dragon this spring, don't bring the lightweight gear. They are averaging a solid 4-6lbs and they like to run. April iceoff is gonna be redic!! Here is a vid from saturday's madness.

Dragon Slayas III

"YOU can stand on it, dude!" Classic line! I always like to encourage folks to stand on what looks to be thin ice! Fun stuff. :)

Hate to rain on the parade but I didn't see anything over 4 pounds in the vid, so how did they avg 4 to 6?

PS - for others - My goodness, it was fairly obvious a few of these trout were going home with the Slayas, so let's leave the imposition of how to fish "my way" alone, can we?

Ah the purist slam. No fish over 4 filmed for some reason. The one I'm holding near the beginning was close to 4. We lost some crankers too.

The first fish you see gilled is released, hence my saying "grab it by the back of the head" instead of doofus gilling it. The second fish you see gilled was kept. We kept two fish only, and released over 15. Air temps +5C and no fish touched ice that weren't going to be kept. Any more harmful than fly fishing @ 0C or below, as you all are so fond of? Sure as hell not.

I'm 100% confident that mine and Matt's fish handling abilities are 100% better than ANYONE who's willing to balls up and slam me for this video, because we make a career in fisheries and we've been trained how to properly handle fish. Nathan, I cannot speak for.

Man up and speak your piece

A tip for watching my videos: Any fish you consider to be mishandled was probably kept, legally. Everyone on my 'fish with' list plays by the rules, and plays fair. You won't get anywhere by telling me I'm not ethical, or I don't treat fish with respect.

Good video anyway. I have watched fish techs when they do the measuring, weighing, tagging and release, I haven't heard anyone slam them and they are not gentle by any stretch of the imagination. Personally I have only lifted two trout clear of the water for pictures at the insistance of the guide, everything else never leaves the water. I notice a lot of fish lifted out of the water for pictures, haven't heard too many people.....hmmm maybe none, complain about that.

Perhaps we should give people the benefit of the doubt instead of jumping on assumptions. Maybe some folks have the shack nasties I don't know, but this is a friendly community and people stick hooks in critters mouths and haul them out of the water, it is what we do. Difference might be patting it on the head and letting it go compared to eating it, but we are all guilty of fishing here.

Tako I have fished that lake a few times and I won't tell them that those are almost bait sized compaired to some of them. Your secret is safe with me :lol:

Tako I have fished that lake a few times and I won't tell them that those are almost bait sized compaired to some of them. Your secret is safe with me :lol:

For some reason the really good fish never get photographed :rolleyes:;)

Perhaps we should give people the benefit of the doubt instead of jumping on assumptions. Maybe some folks have the shack nasties I don't know, but this is a friendly community and people stick hooks in critters mouths and haul them out of the water, it is what we do. Difference might be patting it on the head and letting it go compared to eating it, but we are all guilty of fishing here.

What he said!

...those of us that are forced to live in a frozen wasteland. Gotto get your trout fix somehow. For those of you planning a fly trip to Dragon this spring, don't bring the lightweight gear. They are averaging a solid 4-6lbs and they like to run. April iceoff is gonna be redic!! Here is a vid from saturday's madness.

Dragon Slayas III

I hope you aren't eating any of the fish you catch in Dragon - there is a reason they are big.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They're actually becoming stunted. And the sewage spill was over ten years ago...

actually...the sewage was going into the lake for over ten years..so in that respect your post is correct. :rolleyes: