Fly Fusion Forums

Computer Aid

Sundancefisher just called me to say his computer crashed. He wants to retrieve what he has on his hard drive before he does a restore. Any advice out there or techs available? I can send you his phone number by PM if anyone is around.

any idea if he kept his data on a seperate drive from his operating system? If you keep all you data files on a seperate drive, say d:/ where the operating system is on c:/ (could be the same disk) then if you reinstall to c:/ you should still have all your data files.

He could also put the hard drive in the freezer for a few hours and try to reboot. It can help sometimes, just long enough to get the drive booted and get off your data.

If his hard drive is ok, and it's just a windows problem, he can repair windows by booting off of the windows CD and choosing to repair; it will not overwrite any data on the hard drive, but all of his applications will need to be reinstalled.

He has a Dell, and they don't send you an operating system CD or driver CDs when you get your new computer. He said he can't even get to "safe" mode. Dell support told him he needs to get his hard drive copied before it gets restored. Any techs for hire? He tried the yellow pages, but everyone is busy.

Guest Sundancefisher
I think Birchy is in this business.

Hey Birchy...

Any one you know that can back up our hard drive? I guess you need special software. I can not get to safe or windows at all. Registry damaged/corrupt. Dell says only option is Dell Restore which will wipe hard drive clean. Hard drive itself is fine after diagnostic.

I am now running on our 8 year old computer that I never got around to getting rid of.

First time this ever happened and it is really annoying :-)

Any other idea greatly appreciated. All the "geek" outfits seem busy.

Thanks.

Sun

Hey Birchy...

Any one you know that can back up our hard drive? I guess you need special software. I can not get to safe or windows at all. Registry damaged/corrupt. Dell says only option is Dell Restore which will wipe hard drive clean. Hard drive itself is fine after diagnostic.

I am now running on our 8 year old computer that I never got around to getting rid of.

First time this ever happened and it is really annoying :-)

Any other idea greatly appreciated. All the "geek" outfits seem busy.

Thanks.

Sun

All the manufacturers "tech support" guys are dipsh*ts. The only answer they know is their stupid restore disks.

If you ran diagnostics on it and it came back with no errors, than I should be able to hook it up to a caddy and copy your data off no problem. I won't have any free time to do it until Wednesday though. Send me a PM if that works for you.