Fly Fusion Forums

Tweakxp, Done And Nfg

not functioning good after running some of the tweak options.

I can longer open any Office products. I can find the .exe files on the drive but when I try to start any of them (Word;Excel;Outlook) I get a message that they have not been loaded and to insert product disc.

Anyone got any idea whas happening?????? HELP !!!!!!

not functioning good after running some of the tweak options.

I can longer open any Office products. I can find the .exe files on the drive but when I try to start any of them (Word;Excel;Outlook) I get a message that they have not been loaded and to insert product disc.

Anyone got any idea whas happening?????? HELP !!!!!!

I'd restore and forget the "tweak" options

Agreed. Uninstall and reinstall Office from the installation disk.

If you don't have a copy of the disk than I'd try the System Restore that Brownstone mentioned (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore) back to the earliest date before you did the tweaks.

OK Birchy:

This morning uninstalled Office XP which according to screen was successful.

Inserted product disc and started set-up - which got to the enter product code box. Cursor in 1st box for a few seconds then disappears and after a couple of minutes up comes the Office XP installer is not responding. Tried 3x. Same thing. AND the only way to get out is to unplug power and unplug battery - otherwise it just sits and soes nothing. ARGH.

I called my service guy and he wants to take it in for repair.

So, next ?? Can I run Quicktax, Quicken, and word processing, photo albums like all the Adobe suite etc, spread sheets from Lotus or Excel etc on a Mac. Does the mac recognize file types from these applications? How about itunes?

So many questions and issues. What to do what to do.

OK Birchy:

Inserted product disc and started set-up - which got to the enter product code box. Cursor in 1st box for a few seconds then disappears and after a couple of minutes up comes the Office XP installer is not responding. Tried 3x. Same thing. AND the only way to get out is to unplug power and unplug battery - otherwise it just sits and soes nothing. ARGH.

So, next ?? Can I run Quicktax, Quicken, and word processing, photo albums like all the Adobe suite etc, spread sheets from Lotus or Excel etc on a Mac. Does the mac recognize file types from these applications? How about itunes?

There must be some files or registry entries leftover after the uninstall that it's seeing and not liking..

As far as running software on a MAC. I don't have any experience with Mac at all really... someone else might be better able to answer your question. I do know that you can install a version of Windows that runs on a Mac, and after that, I don't see why you couldn't run all those programs just like normal.

OK Birchy:

You can run Office, Adobe suite, iTunes (made by Apple), and Quicken on a Mac. Not sure about QuickTax. I'm running Word, Excel, Photoshop, etc. on mine. Now, here's the downside - you'd need to buy the Mac-specific versions of those programs and suites which can run a fair amount of money.

You can also run Windows directly on a Mac through Bootcamp (included with OS X) or in a virtual machine like Parallels or VMWare Fusion. In that case, you'd be able to install all your Windows apps that you already own. The only problem is if you're running these on Windows, then you inherit all the same potential Windows problems like the ones you're currently having.

Lemme know if you have any other Mac questions.

Sadly, sometimes it seems you can never fully restore your system to its former state after something like this.

I'm not entirely sure system restore works sometimes. I've had some issues afterwards with it.

I fart around with mine enough to screw it up royally at least once a year.

(read: Heeey, that looks cool. Install, run, Zzzzt, blank or blue screen, %$%@*#)

Whenever mine acts up like that it's format/reinstall all time.

Fortunately I have a NAS that backs up virtually everything.

Mostly cuz I've learned I'm not likely to stop tinkering, at the same time learned I'm not that good at it.. :blink:

Hopefully you have backups and can get away with a rebuild. If not your best bet may be to eat the cost of your buddy fixing it up for you or at least pulling your data off.

Good luck