Fly Fusion Forums

Whislter Fishing

mkm

Lillooet @ the Narrows bridge is good for a bunch of things this time of year.

I suspect the Birkie is closed.

The Squamish is good for dollies, certainly. Not sure if Ashlu is open but there are some nice runs. If fishing the Squamish, head up quite a ways past the Ashlu and you'll find easier water to fish. Not lots of steel in there but there are smaller resident rainbows and bulls.

Worth checking out the Cheakamus up through the kayak gates as the boulders create good pocket water. The Chek below Daisy Dam is good water with some ok fishing this time of year, certainly sight fishing in some nice runs.

Hope that helps.

Is Brian Niska one of the dudes that was doing Spey casting demo's at the Expo? Younger guy with a toque...?

I didn't catch the demo, but it probably would've either been him or Francois who's another of the Whistler guys. They've also got an item in the Streamwatch auction for a spot in the spey class they're doing here in May.

Wasn't in Mexico unfortunitely but I did spend the first 2 months of winter in europe...its a tough life being an athlete!!! This sports stuff is really cutting into my fishing time!

mike

Awesome..thanks for the help. I will check out the whistler flyshop and see what they have t say.

mike

Im on the National Luge Team. With the new Olympic venue opening in Whistler I will be spending lots of time here over the next two years...but summers will be spent on the Bow!

Wasn't in Mexico unfortunitely but I did spend the first 2 months of winter in europe...its a tough life being an athlete!!! This sports stuff is really cutting into my fishing time!

mike

I've had the pleasure of fishing in Whistler a number of times. As many have said Brian Niska, from Whistler Fly Fishing is the guy you'll want to talk to. He's got great guides and is super knowledgeable of the area. Even if you choose not to use their guiding service still go talk to Brian. He's one of the most unselfish people you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting.

Not sure if Alta Lake will have ice on it still. But when the ice comes off of it there is some great cutthroat fishing to be had there. I've fished it a few times and had some stellar days there. Alta Lake is right near down town so if you click on the weather network then you'll find out exactally the temperature for Alta Lake too. I just took a peek and the temperature is going to be 1 to 3 C all week with periods of rain and snow. Typical spring conditions in Whistler.

Your a lucky guy having to go there and train. I'm sure you'll be able to train and fish all winter long.

*Just as a side note. Brian is looking for someone in to work in his store. If your looking for a part time job while there I'd give him a call. Tell him Rob The Fishn Nut told you to come see him.

I just had to do an edit. If you've ever thought of trying spey fishing there is the place to do it. Lots of places to do it and lots of large fish to keep you happy. Brian just happens to be a fantastic teacher of fly casting, be it spey or single handed. I've got my spey lesson already booked for this spring with him.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

mkm

nice to see you yesterday. Forcast looks good for the next few days with warm wet weather. Should be lots of Steelies and sea run Bulls rolling in as the snow melts and the water bumps up. Wish I was out there right now, too bad I have to work.

btw thank you for such nice words guys

B