Fly Fusion Forums

Sliding Split Shot

snakeman

Big fish like big bites, eh?

A lot of very knowledgeable anglers say the weight is better on the leader and not the fly. A heavily weighted nymph has all the action of an anchor dressed in feathers being dragged along the bottom.

18's and 20's are working very well on the Bow Bruisers lately.

If you look inside a a piece of split shot (at least the one I use South Bend) they have three teeth in there which trap the line and lock on. If you squesh the sh!t out of them they will not lock down the leader..........a gentle pinch works much better.....................no pliers.......... no teeth.

Not sure it this will work with you guys that can get your line moving a warp speed, but it works for me.

That right there makes the most sense of anything I have read in this thread. No swivels with more knots to them, no weak points, you can still easily add or remove weight and it shouldnt slide down post the little dab of glue.... Seems like genius to me!!

If you tie good knots .. 5 is as safe as 1

Lead has been banned in the park for a while now so I had started using the non-lead split shot but the stuff was so light your tippet/leader looked like a pearl necklace by the time you put enough on for even slightly quick water.

I started using the Loon Outdoors tungsten putty last year - at first it was pretty frustrating stuff but now that I'm used to it I would strongly reccomend it to anyone. You'll still snag but by rolling the putty on in a thin tube (think submarine shaped) I find I do snag less than with shot. trick is to keep it close to your body so it stays warm and then it goes on easy - once it hits the cold water it hardens instantly and I have yet to see one slip except for the occasional snag that I reefed on (even then I just slide the putty back up give it a squeeze and its locked back in) - I also love the fact that it does not damage the leader/tippet at all.

I hope folks here will please consider alternatives to lead products (on the line and in the fly) given the damage it does to both the watershed and its inhabitants.

Guest bigbadbrent

It's all about stoneflies tied with a tungsten bead, and tungsten stretch lace as its legs and ribbing...will outsink any sanjuan worm, and catchs way more fish