Fly Fusion Forums

Intruder Style Flies, But Not For Steelhead

alhuger

All,

I've recently started tying flies modeled after intruders. I am tying them somewhat differently than the classic recipe but mine are close in that they have long flowing collars tied in so they stand well off the shank and undulate well in the water. I was thinking on using them here in AB versus where I usually fish in BC. My question is though, am I wasting my time? I know that typically these are tied for steelhead and salmon and I have seen very, very few references to them being successful picking up freshwater native species. Am I wasting my time tying these for the bow and local SW AB water? Anyone fish them with success locally, advice?

-al

Al,

It's a neat idea. I would tie up versions for pike, bows and bulls. I would just make adjustments to some of the colours for each species and perhaps tie them a bit smaller for the bows.

Yep, more or less what I am doing, I just hate to waste the time if someone has blazed this trail already and found it leads to nowhere :>

Al,

It's a neat idea. I would tie up versions for pike, bows and bulls. I would just make adjustments to some of the colours for each species and perhaps tie them a bit smaller for the bows.

Shhhhhhhhhh........

Intruders work really well on the bow. You have to scale them down to trout size of course. I do mine as tubes mostly. Once I finish my tying commitments I need to work on some Bow sized ones. So many orders for Steelhead flies from my BC guys I haven't been able to tie for myself yet.

Shhhhhhhhhh........

Intruders work really well on the bow. You have to scale them down to trout size of course. I do mine as tubes mostly. Once I finish my tying commitments I need to work on some Bow sized ones. So many orders for Steelhead flies from my BC guys I haven't been able to tie for myself yet.

Several years ago I was useing intruder style patterns for Coho and Chinook Salmon off the Kelp Beds in the open Ocean...if you think of a BuckTail simply being a large silouetted shape in the prop wash then it is simple to see an Intruder pattern doing the same thing.I have managed to land many Black Bass doing this and only several Coho...For the past year I have been working with the Eumer Tube Fly accessories ,bang on for intruders tied on tubes..will be working on new Saltwater patterns as well..

If all goes well,perhaps we could do a tying evening on the Friday of the Spey Weekend...April 5th??

Intruders are streamers which are tied sparse for easier spey casting, but maintain a large "fishy" profile in the water......i hope I'm close on that description. Just google "intruder pattern"......should be lot's of images. Also there was an article about spey on teh bow recently which featured a "troutruder" pattern....cant remember which mag it was, maybe somebody else knows.

Here you go, these are some Steelhead sized.

post-66-1203658900.jpg

I see you dress your stingers!! Have tried that here on the Island but have found the water to be too clear,some limited success though. On the larger Mainland Rivers ,especially off colour waterways these work much better.

Me and Greg used these to good success (well, unless you count fish to HAND, but we had a lotta pulls/hookups on these) for BC Steel... I'm sure in a nerfed down bow river version they'd be deadly. I'd tie em with some brown, white , red gills and they'll trash the bow.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bigbadbrent

Al,

All of my streamers that i tie for swinging flies right now are BR Intruders (Bow River Intruders)..I make them smaller, and in color combos of black and green, purple and black, and just purple

they work very well, and easy to toss

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/not...pg?t=1205269853

that fish was on a purple intruder, probably 3" long