Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Distribution

Hey all:

So I went fishing this past Monday to the Highwood and Upper Cataract. Though the water was mostly clear, it was also high.

Fishing was very tough; we didn't catch a thing.

I am wondering if we were fishing the right sections. What's peoples' experience fishing opening weekend? Are most of the fish out of the typical deep overwintering pools, or are they still all pooled up. I thought the upper sections would be good because at the very least cutts and rainbows are spring spawners. Are they usually done by the middle of June? Should I have been fishing smaller tribs near where they spawn? Or in the lower reaches.

I guess what I am asking is assume by the time I get around to stream fishing in July and August, fish are pretty evenly distributed in a given watershed, not accounting for the poaching that occurs near access points (I use Barry M's rule almost religiously past the middle of July in regards to this).

But rarely have I had a chance to stream fish before the July long weekend, and I got to admit, I was lost. Cutts and bows are spawing still (?) which means more upstream/smaller water, yet brookies and bulls are fall spawners which means what? They wait till after runoff to leave the wintering pools? They'll be found more in deep, downstream water? Cause I fished the meadow section at Cataract, and saw just one fish in a beaver pond. Fished Highwood above the canyon just outside of K-country and again, saw just one fish.

Also, I am assuming fish aren't looking up right now at dry flies, even if the water is clear. Too cold for the most part for any decent hatches, yes? Despite that, we still didn't catch anything on streamers or nymphs.

I don't know - maybe I should be chironomiding the lakes or something. High country trout streams don't seem to be a good choice right on opening day, even if the water does look good.

Any comments?

Smitty

Guest bigbadbrent

Heres my thoughts on it,

I was out on the wood last night, was having a terrible night to begin with, compared to my buddy, i was behind 5-0 on the fishcount, and i was fishing the summer runs, while he was fishing the side channels straight across from this run. As soon as i crossed onto his side i got into 2 fish (dont smoke cubans after your first fish, even if you are happy...makes for an exciting run downstream for the second fish). This side that he was fishing was no more deep then the side i was fishing, but was a bit slower, and the fish were sitting in about a foot of water. This run usually produces on both sides, so i just concluded that the fish are slowly coming out of their wintering holes, and when they are, they're sticking to the slack easy water.

We then went upstream to a very large pool (btw, if anyone on this forums is from Canmore, and saw me and my buddy..send me a pm, i'd like to discuss my talk with you, hope i didnt come off as an ***hole) and i landed 4 fish in 4 casts, then proceeded to make the score 10-7 for me. This is a very definite wintering hole, and they are obviously sticking too them for now, as the water is still quite cold, and slightly murkier then the summer months. This pool i've never caught more then 3 trout, and i ended up with a bunch. It was a mix of cutties and rainbows, i think they're done spawning honestly.

Moral of the story:

Fish what you would normally fish, but just keep in mind that the fish are still not moving too much, havent spread out to what they would by the time we normal folk would start fishing the streams. And keep walking, you'll eventually find a wintering hole, and when you do, you'll have the time of your life. I know that run i started off on is usually one of my favourites to start a day off, in july though, when the fish have spread themselves more over the river, however at this time of the year the river is going much too fast to be hospitable to them

Add some length to your leader, fish deep, and fish slow areas, doesnt have to be deep, but slow is key i'd say right now, specially with how fast the rivers are booting. Also, add a splitshot, it will help immensly to get you to the fish, all the fish i caught out of the first run were tucked right next to rocks, and without a splitshot the flies would be sailing over their heads

Depending on situations on friday, or tomorrow even, i might be able to get out to the highwood and show you around, i've fished the area for years, and it's where my dad taught me to fly fish. Drop me a pm (no charge :P)

*edit*

Oh and about the dry flies, i saw a bunch of rises, to what i do not know, as there was a hatch of just about everything yesterday (mayfly, midges, the odd stone..). My buddy went dry, but didn't get into anything. Also havent seen any bulls in my normal bull holes, so i dont know, they might be sticking it out downstream till that slows down so they can move back up the river (most bulls go to the bow during the winter, so they have to work their way back upstream)

Opening day I did not find (catch) fish in the intermediate or summer lies only in the wintering or deeper pools and tailouts...... Doesn't mean they weren't there but I wasn't catching them.

Didn't fish the surface but did have a hit on my corky. Dries I find are more a daily deal.... if they are hatching the fish will be looking up. With the exception of a couple of small mayflys there was no bug activity above the surface on the 16th when I hit the highwood. The fish seemed to prefer a very slow presentation so a big upstream mend seemed to be the way to go with a lot of weight to get her down. I know that generally you do want to have the upstream mend so that your flies are travelling slower then the surface current speed but I found that this needed to be more exagerated then later in the year........ Don't know if that helps at all but.......