Fly Fusion Forums

Pike Flies Contest

bulltrout

let's see what you guys got...your ugliest, nastiest, meanest, largest, hardest to cast PIKE FLIES...i want your flies to scare the *hit out of me :lol: ...entries in by Wednesday, February 27th by 10 PM (Mountain Standard Time for those who don't already know ;) )...have fun...

i present to you, The W.T.F. ...9 inches of awesome, hard to cast pike fun...

IMGP1941a.jpg

perhaps a sign of things to come?

IMGP1942.jpg

Hook: TMC 300 #2

Shank: Homemade

Weight: Buttload of .035 Lead Free Wire

Thread: Pink 6/0

Tail: Pink and Chinchilla Magnum Rabbit Strips

Tail Adhesive: Shoe Goo

All Flash: Pink Krystal Flash

Body Segments: Chinchilla Magnum Rabbit Strip

Body Joint: Size 3 Split Rings

Eyes: XL Sea Eyes w/Stick On Prismatic Eyes

Eye Ring: Size 3 Split Ring

I call it the half rabbit cause I used half a rabbit. ok that was funnier when I was playing with the glue.

half%20rabbit%20(5)good.jpg

Hooks: two Mustad 1/0 34007

Thread: Red 6/0

Body: red, black and white rabbit

Flash: orange

Eyes: Sea Eyes Large Red

Legs: Sili Legs Firetip Red/black

Glues: Goop for binding the rabbit, crazy for securing rabbit to hook, Epoxy for the head

Hooks joined by stainless steel leader.

Fishing suggestion: Cause I think it will be hard to cast (my biggest pole is a 6 weight) place it in the water next to your pontoon or float tube and paddle like crazy.

Guest Rocknbugs
I call it the half rabbit cause I used half a rabbit. ok that was funnier when I was playing with the glue.

half%20rabbit%20(5)good.jpg

Hooks: two Mustad 1/0 34007

Thread: Red 6/0

Body: red, black and white rabbit

Flash: orange

Eyes: Sea Eyes Large Red

Legs: Sili Legs Firetip Red/black

Glues: Goop for binding the rabbit, crazy for securing rabbit to hook, Epoxy for the head

Hooks joined by stainless steel leader.

Fishing suggestion: Cause I think it will be hard to cast (my biggest pole is a 6 weight) place it in the water next to your pontoon or float tube and paddle like crazy.

Still pretty funny though!

This is the Great Pumpkin. It has a great history. See top image and crappy small bottom image--ancient scan.

What happened was this. I was yakking to a guy who spin fished and he said he'd been having a ton o' luck with a gold and orange "Cyclops" spin lure. So I cranked out a couple of spun deer hair, eyeless, flies using orange deer hair, some orange fish hair and assorted flash. (I still have a couple of these around somewhere.) One of the guys in the Brooks FF Club named it Great Pumpkin, collectively we started using "body fur" for large heads and somewhere along the way I started using LARGE eyes. So it has a cool history.

The fly worked way back then and still works today--in its evolved form. We've no idea what the pike take it for and it does not work as well in early spring as yellow. It is one of the "must have" flies. There are days it is deadly--and days the pike prefer yellow.

Great Pumpkin instructions here.....

greatpumpkin.jpg

That's one of the primordial pumpkins on top here...old flatbed scan.

history.JPG

:lol::lol: One fly might use my entire inventory of tying materials...........

It was basically half a package each of white and black rabbit strips. The strips were only just long enough to wrap from rear hook to front hook. There is about 5 inches of steel leader in between the hooks.

Technicolor Deceiver-Zonker-Deer Head fly - in case you don't know what color to use, try em all at once

Size 2 streamer hook with any old stinger hook

Tail - deceiver style with different colored feathers dyed with kool aid (red, purple, blue, and orange)

flash - mylar piping over the feather tie ins, krystal flash and red holographic flash tied in under the collar

green deer hair head spun over lead eyes

And a white zonker strip over the top ending at the stinger hook

Dry:

IMG_0703.JPG

Wet:

IMG_0707.JPG

When it sees a big pike bearing down on it:

IMG_0716.JPG

You guys wanna know what is REALLY funny?

Is Cheeler "preening" and "stroking" that wet pike fly (with his fingers) to make it look nice nice again ... and forgetting it has a stinger hook! OUCH! :lol::lol::lol:

Speaking from experience of course. Hurts like hell. There is blood. (No smart a$$ comments about the stroking, okay?)

Cool pike fly BTW ...

You guys wanna know what is REALLY funny?

Is Cheeler "preening" and "stroking" that wet pike fly (with his fingers) to make it look nice nice again ... and forgetting it has a stinger hook! OUCH! :lol::lol::lol:

Speaking from experience of course. Hurts like hell. There is blood. (No smart a$$ comments about the stroking, okay?)

Cool pike fly BTW ...

I learned that the hard way so now I just put a loop of 30# spider wire in and just run it over the hook afterwards, so I don't have to store it with the hook ready to strike.