Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing In Waterton???

Just wondering if anyone has fished in waterton and has any good places to go or ideas. i havent been there in years and never fished there. going on July long weekend. We will be tenting so good campground info would also be helpful.

Thanks, Diggler

I agree with MadDog, Crypt is a very nice lake and you can definitly see the fish...I found that a royal trude or a royal coachman laid out well infront of crusing fish and just left floating on the surface worked extremly well...Bertha Lake is another good lake or was at one time I havent been there for years and there is a spectacular view from the trail as you hike up...there are also several good hike in lakes of off the Red Rock Canyon fire road...keep in mind that it has been years since I have hiked into these places...At one time there was a campground right in the townsite and I think that it is still there...Have a great time its a marvelous place.

I'd go to the Crandell campgrounds (you can't have a fire in town at your campsite). As far as fishing, it's mostly lakes. I've heard of some fishing to be had at Cameron Lake as well, if you take a pontoon or canoe to the far end and fish the feeder streams. Gorgeous lake as well, sort of a mini lake loiuse,... :lol:

I have not fished there for quite a few years, but last time we went, we stayed in a campground just outside the park on the north side. I think it was 3km out. We hit a couple of the lakes there but got skunked. We headed out to the Waterton resivior and headed downstream from the dam. The fishing there was pretty good, it was only about a 20 minute drive from the campground.

Map info here

My dad has caught a couple big rainbows in Bertha, we saw guys fishing at Crypt when we were there, but be warned it's not just a leisurely hike and you have to take a boat over and most importantly make it down in time to take the last boat back to the townsite. We've also fished at Wall lake and I caught some small cutties in a little inlet. My dad hiked in to snowshoe cabin and I can't remember which way he went but he found some small falls with brookies sitting in the pool below. I think there's brookies in Crandell, but I've never been there, been to Cameron lake but never fished it. I think the Waterton River has rainbows in it and of course the big lake has some huge lakers if you can dredge them up from the depths. Barry Mitchell's guide has a bit of stuff on Waterton.

NOTE: Wall lake is in b.c so you need a bc license and they are there checking often. You can buy a b.c license in waterton. Wall is fun waterton lake is good to anywhere a stream feeds into it some good white fish and in the early season some big lakers hang out in these spots.

Crypt, Bertha, and Alderson offer the best quality of fish. Carthew, Twin, Lone, Crandell, Goat offer large numbers of tiny fish (Crandell sometimes puts out the odd reasonable size brookie). The upper lake is good near the sand bar at the docks, and you can find whitefish anywhere. Cameron offers a nice experience and the creek is full of hungry brookies and a few rainbows. There are many other hot spots that I can't disclose but I recommend exploring and putting on your thinking cap. There's good fishing to be had, and I wish you luck.