Fly Fusion Forums

Best 3wt Line For New Rod

lorney

I recently picked up a 3wt rod for fishing the mountain streams. I am about to buy line for it and was wondering what would be the best way to go. WF or double taper? Have only used WF in the past and am not sure if there is any advantage to using a double taper line. Casting distance will not be a factor as it will be used on small streams. Probably won't cast more than 30'. Also any advantage to over lining to a 4wt? I have read lots on over lining with mixed results. If anyone here has had this same set up any info from your experience would be appreciated. The rod is a 3wt Sage SLT and the reel a Hardy Angel Featherweight. Thanks in advance.

Nice set-up...

The advantage of a WF line is it's ease of loading...a DT line loads less identifiably but mends better at greater distances..and if you are a Scot you can turn your line around after the front end is worn out!!

Interestingly,Snowbee has developed a special line called the Delicate Presentation line that is used for Small stream fishing throughout much of Europe ,the front taper is fairly normal but the back taper is enlongated,the purpose is to provide better line control and deliver your flies more gently . I have often described this line as "no matter how bad a caster you might be..this One delivers!)

Only available in weights from 2-6.

C

I would suggest a double taper. like you said 30' casts max so no point in overloading your rod because your not trying to get 100' casts. I'm a fan of the DT so once I step on my line on the sharp rocks (specially in the mountains) I can just flip it and save myself some money.

my .02$

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like a DT is the line of choice for this situation. I have read that over lining is good for shorter casts because the rods are rated to perform best assuming a certain amount of line weight ( at least 30'). Inside of this distance the extra weight from going to a 4wt would help the performance of the rod. Any thoughts on this? I will probably stick with a 3wt line anyway but just thought I would get some other opinions or reasons for people over lining. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like a DT is the line of choice for this situation. I have read that over lining is good for shorter casts because the rods are rated to perform best assuming a certain amount of line weight ( at least 30'). Inside of this distance the extra weight from going to a 4wt would help the performance of the rod. Any thoughts on this? I will probably stick with a 3wt line anyway but just thought I would get some other opinions or reasons for people over lining. Thanks again.

You can never have too many spools :lol:

Actually, overlining helps the performance of the caster and not the rod! Feeling the load is a learned effect and often times not experienced well by many casters. A simple adjustment in casting stroke and rod position will clear that up in a hurray. You can over load the rod by several sizes and get some kind of desireable result. In example, a 3wt rod is calculated to perform efficiently with a 3 wt. line that at 30' weighs 6.8 Grams or 105 grains approx.;yet,that same line ,in this case a Snowbee WF Two Colour floating line, at 42.5 '(the colour change) weighs 10 grams or 154+ grains. So,if you learn to efficiently cast the recommended line overlining isn't necessary.

The DT lines are equally designed but have much longer bellies and more grain weight the more you command..

Have fun

C

I use a DT #3 on my 3# I fish the river Aln in Northumberland, have confidence in the DT, it will give you a better presentation of the fly as it rolls the leader over more smoothly, and with small river and stream fishing presentation is everthing, you'll have great fun using light tackle, it give's you a buz you wouldn't believe so enjoy the expierience.

check out the 3 weight Loop opti creek and 3 weight opti stream. Both of these lines feature short head sections that are coloured differently than the running line. These lines are designed specifically for small stream and creek fishing and seriously perform.

The Opti Stream lines were voted the most fun lines in test in England 2006..and they are all of that....

Brian...any "springs" yet?