Fly Fusion Forums

Sink Tip Questions

marshall

So I was reading an article the other day regarding the use of sink tip lines and the benefit of using them. To be honest, I can think of only one time I've used a sink tip line in and around the Calgary Area.

This article discussed the fact that using sink tips regularly for nymphs and streamers is a good approach. It also mentioned that casting with a sink tip is far easier than swinging a ton of split shot on your line, something I could definitely see the advantage of.

Do any of you use sink tips regularly out on the Bow or other local rivers for nymphs and streamers? Also, if you do use stink tips, do most of you have a separate spool with specific line or do you have a set up of shooting heads that include sink tips?

As always, I appreciate any insight you all might have.

I fish an 8 wt rod with a sink tip line and use it on the Bow for streamers. It's definitely easier to cast than a floating line with split shot attached to the leader since you don't get the twisting effect. I can also get pretty decent distance on my casts because of the extra weight in the line tip. Instead of a tapered leader, I just use about 2 feet of level 10lb Maxima. If you fish it with a weighted streamer it will get your fly down deep fast.

I really only use the rod for streamers, so I haven't had to bother getting a separate spool for floating lines.

So I was reading an article the other day regarding the use of sink tip lines and the benefit of using them. To be honest, I can think of only one time I've used a sink tip line in and around the Calgary Area.

This article discussed the fact that using sink tips regularly for nymphs and streamers is a good approach. It also mentioned that casting with a sink tip is far easier than swinging a ton of split shot on your line, something I could definitely see the advantage of.

Do any of you use sink tips regularly out on the Bow or other local rivers for nymphs and streamers? Also, if you do use stink tips, do most of you have a separate spool with specific line or do you have a set up of shooting heads that include sink tips?

FoF, I use a 6 ft (lead core) sink tip section that I attach to a floating line when fishing streamers and need to go deeper then what the floating and weighted streamer will allow (2' - 3' vs. 5' - 6')... Also, you can also use an unweighted streamer when using a sink tip, as it gives better "swimming" action to the streamer. I'm sure others will offer more insight and suggestions as I'm no "pro"!

P

When the water's high I like to use a 200gr Streamer Express. It's a 30' fast sinking tip attached to an intermediate sinking running line. I fish a very short 6" leader and find that the sinktip really keeps the fly down. The T-series tips (25') are also really good sinktips.

I find that the short tips just don't keep the fly down like a 25' or 30'.

I switched up from full sink lines this year to sink tips and have had really good luck on them. Having said that, this is for stillwater. I can say though that I know headscan uses them and does well with them in the bow.

-al

sink tips are a must dude. didnt use em a whole lot except for some heavy stuff for streamers but having a multi tip kit for your rod will open up a ton of new possabilities.....i think an intermediate tip will be killer for fish eating pupae and emergers and haveing a few heavier tips for the deeper and faster water helps a ton.

When the water's high I like to use a 200gr Streamer Express. It's a 30' fast sinking tip attached to an intermediate sinking running line. I fish a very short 6" leader and find that the sinktip really keeps the fly down. The T-series tips (25') are also really good sinktips.

I find that the short tips just don't keep the fly down like a 25' or 30'.

6 inch leader? really?

6 inch leader? really?

Yeah, short high break strength leaders. I go 2 feet, but I'm sure shorter works just as well. Usually the sink tip part of the line is black, gray, or clear so it isn't as much of an issue as a bright green floating line. I've found most of my takes fishing this way are pretty violent as well, so the high test is important. 99% of the hits have been on the dangle or during the first strip in my experience.

Kelly Gallop had a great informative presentation at the Expo. Learned a few things that I plan to practice. As what others have said, the sink tip is great on the Bow. I am due to pick up a new one in the near future. I fish streamers, often double rigs when in the pontoon, with a 7 wt. sage VPS and a SA wt tip express. It is a 15 foot head. I am going 25 next time for some of the reasons Russ had mentioned. I only use 12-18" leader, staight 10 or 12 lb. Maxima. Longer leaders defeat the purpose of the sink tip and you get a belly in the line with your fly up and not in the hot zone. IMO

I think I read in a McLennan book that when Lefty Kreh fished the Bow he only used a 10-12" leader.

I also like the advice on unweighted streamers. I tie all my own flies and have in the past weighted to heavy. Gets it down all right but sometimes to much makes it act unnatural. I now tie with a variety of weights.

You will like the streamers and sink tip when the Bow is completing run off. Big browns on the banks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like them at times in certain places..... definately help get you on the bottom fast...... But you either need to have a selection of lines for different depths and currents or a multi tip dealeo. I had the airflow 40 plus with I think a 35' type 7 sinking head....... Loved it for the 6 days it lasted but since it broke I have just made do with my cortland with a 10' sink tip like type 4 or 5...... but theres no comparison to the usefulness of the long head as the cortlands almost useless in my opinion LOL as it doesn't get anywhere near deep enough fast enough except in really slow shallower sections.