Fly Fusion Forums

Glow Chronie

Weedy1

This was tied out of curiosity. The bead will glow for a good period of time whereas the body fades out quickly. I'm curious to know if the phosphorous would trap light when the fly is fished at deep depths where light penetration becomes an issue. These should be fun to test this spring, or not.

Lights On

IMGP0142.jpg

Lights Off

IMGP0144.jpg

Chronie bodies do have a 'shimmer' to them, but this is most profound closer to the surface, not at the bottom where it's dark. The chronies get more air trapped under their skin as they travel to the surface, and can have a 'chrome' shimmer to them. Chironomids with a silver body (chromies) tend to work well in shallow water.

I think anything that stands out and attracts the fishes attention will work though. Keep us informed of your 'research'.

I think if nothing else simply fishing that one with a more imitative pattern in tandem at depths would bring the fish in..... you might get the majority on the more realistic pattern but thats gonna hve some attractor quality for sure....... might be worth tying some with a silver tinsel body underneath as well I think that might be deadly as you are gonna get some glow and some reflection....... Cool tie man. What is the ribbing material you have used if you don't mind me asking.

PS send my dozen along with Glen's

edit in

PPS I have come up with a new idea for chiro's as well I will try and post some soon and will explain how I think combining your glowing rib material with my ties might be pretty productive......

What is the ribbing material you have used if you don't mind me asking.

Lone - I don't know what the material is or where I bought it. I was doing some clean up of material the other night when I pulled this stuff out, shut the light off when I was leaving the room and noticed it glowing. Maybe someone will know. I have a bad memory for names of things I tie onto tiny hooks, it's just not at the top of my "Things To Remember" priority list. :P

DSCN0547.jpgDSCN0548.jpg

i have some of the material.

both of weedy1's packages are flashabou - wholesale and russells have it.

the green is flashabou 6955. i dont have the orange. also comes in pink and yellow.

there is also a white which is not flashabou. it is creamy mylar motion - again, russells has it.

Weedy1, where did you get the glow beads or do you have a package name?