Fly Fusion Forums

Flyfishing St. John's Nl

My fishing season has gotten off to early start, almost 3 ½ months earlier than years past. After reading about all the winter fishing that members of the FFC site enjoy I decided to tough out the winter temps and get out there this morning. At -5C without a draft of wind I enjoyed a beautiful morning drifting nymphs and swinging clousers to small (12 -14”) willing silver trout that inhabit the tidal waters of the lower Waterford.

For those not familiar with St. John’s, there are two rivers that run into the Atlantic Ocean…………….the Waterford (directly into St. John’s harbor) and Rennies River that feeds Quidi Vidi ("Kiddy Viddy" depending who you ask) lake then dumps into the Sea. While Rennies is basically across the road from my house, the Waterford will be my city fishing choice, due to the run of sea going browns. Trout of up to 10# have been reported taken from these waters and I have seen fish of up to 5-6# .

I hope to keep this tread running thought the year and post a few pics from time to time if no one minds the foreign content. I like to thank the members of FFC for the information/techniques shared on the site, it has really inspired me to fish moving water that I have been so intimated by in the pass.

Thanks for posting 126barns...good to know that we have inspired people on the east coast...keep your posts coming, I for one would love to know more about fly fishing the salt in your part of the country...and keep posting those flies of yours (they are great).

I fished there once in march by the duck pond, some beauty brownies there eh? I would love to get back there sometime, most of the time we just hit the westcoast and south Lab for salmon and sea run brookies. Looking forward to hear more about fishing on the Avalon!

Thats like most people John(myslef included), the Westcoast (gods country :lol: ) and Labrador take away from the sea runs on the Avalon .. although the people who fish it swear its the best fishery on the Island ..

Yes man, the Avalon has incredible sea run Browns....so the tidal runs of the Waterford .. would'nt that have you fishing right downtown? .. good on ya buddy

I was downtown as downtown gets...................hope to fish every inch of the Waterford this summer.................from the harbor to killbride and the other branch all the way to the TCH........except for the park..........damn St. John's by-law...........to bad thats where the big ones hold up.

I was downtown as downtown gets...................hope to fish every inch of the Waterford this summer.................from the harbor to killbride and the other branch all the way to the TCH........except for the park..........damn St. John's by-law...........to bad thats where the big ones hold up.

Ive read a few articles and seen some nice pictures of some Brutes out of the Waterford .. check out SPAWN magazine's website, they are more geared towards Salmon but have info and links to trout fishing on the Avalon.

Hey 126 Barnes

I'll look you up when I come home again. Maybe you can show me the ropes as I never fly fished while I lived there. I did, howver, tip a few back on George Street. I can lead the way there, for sure :lol:

Hey 126 Barnes

I'll look you up when I come home again. Maybe you can show me the ropes as I never fly fished while I lived there. I did, howver, tip a few back on George Street. I can lead the way there, for sure :lol:

ya know, some would say if you remember George Street you were never really there. I know the way from Water & Duckworth Street..Gullivers always took me..

Hey 126 Barnes

Don't know about showing you the ropes as I'm trying to figure them out myself..........................but would love the company if anyone hits St. John's.

haha you got it! Mostly the bluey, the runout in portland creek, the feeders on portland creek pond, upper humber, and the aidies river(i think?). How about yourself brownstone??

WEST : Upper Humber from Cache Rapids to Big Falls. Southwest Brook ,Harry's Brook, Fischells, Flat Bay, Robinsons.

North : Lomand River, River Of Ponds, Portland Creek (never been up past the pond) Torrent,Big East, Castors River, St. Genevieve.

Central : Main River (Sop's Arm) Exploits, Northwest Gander, Conne River.

Think that covers the ones I've fished, mind you when i go home fishing now, I mainly stick to the Northern Penninsula, with a couple days on the Humber (my family has a cabin close by) and a trip or two out to Southwest Brook (not great numbers, but the upper section is great to fish)

• 2 weeks later...

Will I've been down about a half dozen times on a few different stretches of water, hard to be exploring water in the night. I've been picking up a few fish now and then, still haven't caught anything of size(14" being about the biggest so far) but a few of the locals have said that a couple 4 #'er and a small Salmon have been caught. Its still a little early but by the end of Feb fresh fish should be showing up. Nymphs (size 14/16) have been the ticket so far, pheasant tails, copper Johns and Tako homage pattern whatever it might be called. Pending weather, I'll be out Saturday morning before work checking out some new water.

Heres a pic of typical fish I've been getting so far. They seem to have a few scales compared to the ones from ealier in the month.

dsc02602dk8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had four beautiful hours on the Waterford today, -3 and sunny. Landed only four fish, but two were my best ever, and wouldn't you know I didn't have a camera with me. The bigger one took the clouser as I stripped it back along a under cut, jumped twice and I got a new PB. Nothing compared to the Bow River browns but a very nice 2 #'er