Fly Fusion Forums

New Bully/pike Fly

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

exclusive tying engagement with that fly, my dreaded triple bunny, and a few different flies and variations for bull trouts...and of course, lots to chat about...this saturday at 1, get outa the cold, i'll make a good pot o strong joe

Cool fly for sure. I see you found some mylar Christmas tinsel on sale. Great stuff. The white/clear pearl is great.

"I bet that will look great when its wet." I bet that will weigh as much as a standard-bred poodle when it's wet.

Rabbit is great stuff, but a couple of six-inch strips soak up enough water to lower lake levels and it gets so damn heavy. As totally cool as that fly is (and as cool as the strips will look in water) the huge ones do cast poorly--or more so than other large flies tied with synthetics.

And, yes, eyes rock.

First, the eyes may trigger fussy pike into hitting the fly. Probably 70 percent of the time—when pike are feeding actively and aggressively—the eyes make no difference at all. But if the pike are tentative, pike will hit eyed flies when they won't hit flies with no eyes. Seems to be so.

Secondly, the large eyes may improve hookups on larger flies. I recently was told of this concept by a friend and I think there is basis in this. The concept is simple: large eyes direct the hits toward the hook end of the fly. Years ago, we started with smaller flies and after a couple of years graduated up to 6-inch flies with no eyes or small brass eyes. We used to get a lot of false hits. Apparently the pike would hit the back of the streamer and miss the hook. There is a general consensus by a few of us that the large eyes result in fewer false hits as they attack the head end.

Who knows for sure?

Guest bigbadbrent

that fly is pretty small clive, didn't put it to comparison to the others, its no more then 3 inchs long

i'll tie a dozen, if you take me hunting for sharks