Fly Fusion Forums

Thoughts And Opinions On A Couple Of My Stimulators

Guest Rocknbugs

Guest Rocknbugs

Im fairly new to tying but have been going at it pretty hard lately. How are the proportions, hackle lenght, wing, tail etc? This is 2 of very many and am looking for tips, suggestions and opinions. Hook size is #6 & #8 Daiichi 1260.

IMGP0139.jpg

IMGP0141.jpg

Nice ties!

A couple of minor tips:

1st - I personally tie all my stimulators or curved hook (like in second pic) so they ride nicer (IMO) in the water.

2nd - Personally I would use your vice to clamp the barbs before you tie (it'll save you lots of time and prevent you from crushing the hackle)

3d - On the second pic the hackle could be longer. Remember a rule of thumb is the hackle should reach approximately to the hook point.

4th - This is very minor however I've noticed you are securing the hackle with thread. This is OK, however IMO ultra thin wire is better and makes for a more durable fly

5th - Very minor too but I think you may be using a quite a thick thread to tie the flies. I prefer a medium light thread that way you get really nice trim heads that don't extend past the shank.

6th - Leave more room for the heads – however you’re almost perfect in this aspect.

Great job, and there really neat looking flies! Keep raping that hackle nice and tight!

Nice ties!

Guest Rocknbugs

Thanks for the feedback I have tied up about 50 of these using #6, 8 & 10 1260 Daiichi's. There are a few tied with Bleached Elk Hair and these ones with the Deer Hair (which I find easier to use), do you have a prefrence?. I have also tied them in wide range of colors (pink, yellow, Caddis green, Adams Grey) both body and head also using differant colors of thin wire (yellow, gold, copper) for counter wrapping the hackle as well differant colors of thread(flourescent orange, yellow, red). I will have have to admitt that when I read the feedback it made me feel good, thanks. If anyone wants a few of these to try when need be let me know and I will give a few to throw in the box.

Great stimmies R&B. They look really good.

I prefer bleached elk for my stimulators, simply because it's easier to see on the water. I really don't know that the fish have a preference though.

I've spent the last week working on stimmies and golden nymphs, only wish I could try out my variations before June!