Fly Fusion Forums

Alberta Spey Rodding

headscan

Never met him myself. A lot of the points he makes about DH rods being useful on the Bow mirror the ones Toolman and others here have made. With any luck it might encourage more of the shops in town to increase their selection of Spey gear and learn about it themselves. I don't have any problem ordering stuff from Courtney, but if you just need a polyleader for the next day's fishing it can be a pain....

Guest bigbadbrent

Elliot didn't write it, he did a lot of the photos. He works at Fish Tales..guy catchs some big stinking bullys.

The spey revolution is happening, you notice it everyday

Guest bigbadbrent
I thought you said it was the flavour of the month last Saturday ;)

It's absolutely the flavour of the month, maybe next couple years....I have mine to practice for when i go steelhead fishing, its not my main rod, by a long shot...but i enjoy the flavour of it :P

It's absolutely the flavour of the month, maybe next couple years....I have mine to practice for when i go steelhead fishing, its not my main rod, by a long shot...but i enjoy the flavour of it :P

Yeah, it's all about the situation. You're obviously not going to use a DH rod to present a size 20 mayfly to rising trout 15' away on the Highwood. It's like using a sledgehammer on a finishing nail. Use the right tool for the job, and obviously the more tools you have the more you can do.

Guest bigbadbrent
Yeah, it's all about the situation. You're obviously not going to use a DH rod to present a size 20 mayfly to rising trout 15' away on the Highwood. It's like using a sledgehammer on a finishing nail. Use the right tool for the job, and obviously the more tools you have the more you can do.

unless you're like me and have way too many hammers, and have more coming in...

Never met him myself. A lot of the points he makes about DH rods being useful on the Bow mirror the ones Toolman and others here have made. With any luck it might encourage more of the shops in town to increase their selection of Spey gear and learn about it themselves. I don't have any problem ordering stuff from Courtney, but if you just need a polyleader for the next day's fishing it can be a pain....

I hope to have enough on hand here so that doesn't need to be the case, as well we hope to have a shop or two on board with Snowbee products this year.

Colin

I hope to have enough on hand here so that doesn't need to be the case, as well we hope to have a shop or two on board with Snowbee products this year.

Colin

That's great news. Always good to have a local pusher. I mean dealer. Uh, let's go with salesman ;)

Yeah, it's all about the situation. You're obviously not going to use a DH rod to present a size 20 mayfly to rising trout 15' away on the Highwood.

Hmmmm....I fished my DeerCreek 6126 with #20 flies, on the Crownest back in October and found it too be the right tool for the job.

Did pretty good that day with Hawgstoppah if I recall and I think there may have been a post about it a while back...

Thing is, I have been out with my two handed rods about 250 times in the last 15 months and have fished them in every situation on big water and small. There were many challenges that I normally would have considered using a single hander, as I thought it would be easier and it would have been, had I brought one, but....I learned how to fish my two handers in situations that are thought of to be the domain of single handed rods and to my delight, I found that long rods rule....anytime, anyplace...you just need to learn HOW to use these tools to their full potential.

Then you will be amazed at the possibilities....Just my .02 cents on the matter.

ps. Do you know how many times I was told "two handers are no good for the Bow or trout fishing, that's for Steelhead and Salmon".....Good thing I did'nt listen eh....

Guest bigbadbrent

Toolman, im sorry, but there are somethings that the spey is just not going to do. Present a 20 dry fly UPSTREAM dead drifting to a brown in less then a foot of water without spooking it....Catching the big fish on EHC's that are dead drifted at night, not swinging big stoneflies....go fish stauffer with anything bigger then a 9'...

good luck with that, two handers do not 'rule', they are another tool in the arsenal...

Even if you could fish every stream on the world with a 2 hander..why would you? The fight in a 18" bow from the crow isn't going to do much agaisnt a two hander..

just my 2% of a dollar

Wow, sounds like you have been Spey fishing for a long time Brent, or are you just recycling old assumptions?

Maybe I should post a link to Team USA's, John Wilson, who's thread tells the story of how the European teams crushed them with the long rods on the little rivers, at last summers World Flyfishing Championships. As for the fight of an 18" Crowsnest Bow on the Deercreek, it was great, but I don't normally fish 14" Crowsnest trout for the "fight", as there are plenty of badazz trout on the Bow to kick my butt any day of the week.

Guest bigbadbrent

Please do, it doesn't prove me wrong..

go fish stauffer with the big stick, and take lots of pictures of all the fish you catch...tree fish included

if your fishing for numbers..why not just use dynamite and a long net..

Well Brent, the only point I am trying to make is that there are a lot of myths and assumptions made about Two Handed rods in the flyfishing game and I have encountered many that are false (most). As usual, most who are making the claims have no experience fishing two handers in these situations. I will fish Stauffer this year with my Spey rods....photo's pending. As for casting a #20 dry fly upstream, to a Brown in a foot of water, no problem, as it is as simple as adapting the line/leader and casting methods, to the conditions at hand.

Guest bigbadbrent

hahahaha, you've never fished stauffer..have you...

i cannot wait..its a spring creek, so you can go the next chinook no problem...don't forget your skagit lines