Fly Fusion Forums

Sharkskin @ Expo

I’m thinking of picking up some sharkskin line at the Expo. Does anybody know what booths are selling it? What is the price at the expo (I heard it’s $100! but I’m hoping for a sale). Has anyone cast it, or owns it on the board? As mentioned before I have a Sage but it’s the Fli and it cast well but the line that came with it is junk, so I need some new line anyways.

(Btw would they spool it for me? I have no clue how to spool line and I rather have it done by someone who knows, so I don’t catch a big one and lose it. And the $100 line!)

So where are they carrying it at the expo? Anyone have experiences with the line? Is it worth the price?

I haven't fished the line or even cast it (I hope to at the show) but I have touched it. It kinda has a sandpaper texture. Something that I would be concerned about would be 'finger wear'. When stripping line over my index finger I think that line wouldn't be too long cutting some skin....

Guest bigbadbrent

Troutfitters has it at the very least, dunno the price..go swing by the shops that have booths, they'll have it...no problem to get anything spooled at any store if you bring your reel in man

its hell of a nice line, i've cast it many a time..And yes, it does cut after a while, but then again, you shouldn't be tossing a streamer with a 100 dollar line, theres no need for it.

Guest bigbadbrent

http://www.flybc.ca/index.php?pid=63

Fisher, honestly, i don't know, and wont try to pretend i will...All i've heard from them is that it wont be any less wearing to your rod then any other line (see-airflo ridgeline)...They also say that it is at least 3 times tougher (longer lasting) then any other line on the market. if you believe their hype, its suddenly not such a ripoff. 100 bucks once, instead of 70 bucks 3 times.. (for me anyway)

I'm sure that one of their main concerns was wearing out the guides, so I would bet they did something to fix that.

It really does cast like nothing else.

quick edit - you gotta think that the line isn't anything different that would make it more abrasive. Its still a form of PVC, its not like its sandpaper..

checked it out today at the show .. Troutfitters booth .. they have a couple rods spooled up ready to chuck if you wanna give it a go .. I didn't get to cast it today, but I rubbed it and you can hear/feel the line passing through your fingers, it feels like some sort of rope, not flyline. Gonna be interesting when long term reviews come out I think..

as for the wear on the guides, I i think it will be harder on guides but .. you gotta lot of hours to fish with a regular line to wear out guides, most people break/replace/retire their rod long before this becomes an issue. You have to look a couple things other than the material from which the line is made also. the woven (for lack of a better word) structure is gonna leave lots of spots for very fine sand/debris to collect to effect the abrasive (not to mention buoyancy) effects of the line. And this super fast line, moving at super fast speeds, well that'll just wear you guides out faster anyway. (if your even gonna be bothered by that sort of thing) .. my 0.02 . . ah crap, I'll probably buy one anyway

I haven't fished the line or even cast it (I hope to at the show) but I have touched it. It kinda has a sandpaper texture. Something that I would be concerned about would be 'finger wear'. When stripping line over my index finger I think that line wouldn't be too long cutting some skin....

I too have checked it out...You raise a very good point...anyone who has hooked a good fish after stripping in a large amount of line will know just how quickly you can burn or even cut yourself as the line at your feet is peeled off by a running fish if you are not careful or until you are able to play the fish from your reel...Imagine a line the texture of sandpaper...in my opinion it will cut exposed skin.