Fly Fusion Forums

Damaged Fly Rod?

fisher26

I was camping in the Oldman Gap this year when I decided (stupidly) to put my bran new sage fly rod (my first rod over $250.00) on top of my trailer. I went asleep that night and thought there was practically a tornado (hell it's the gap). I woke up to clear sky but remnants or rain. I practically thought my vehicle would flip it was so windy that night.

To my dread I realized that I had left my fly rod on the roof and rushed out to see if it was broken. To my absolute shock I found it resting against the mirror (it must have fallen in that position?) and it wasn't broken. Surprise, I mean it feel from a tall trailer with metal ridges to the ground below.

The next day I fished w/ it and it was fine. I have fished with it maybe 6 times since, and its been fine. I observed the rod carefully and at first I thought it was in 100% condition. On closer inspection back at home under a good light I noticed tiny (really small) lines of gray on the finish. They look like there not cracks, but I'm not sure...

They are tiny grey lines in a small area that are impossible to see unless your really observing the rod. The lines (cracks) are where the two sections of the rod join and tiny (even smaller ones) at the tip.

My question is do you think these are from the fall of my truck? I would have never noticed them if I wasn't inspecting it very carefully. They look like there is no depth to them so I think the finish could just be scraped off.

My question is; Do you think my fly rod is damaged? I have heard that cracks in graphite are the kiss of death and you know it's going to break soon. However these could for all I know been there when I got it.

Do you think it'll break? Any experiences with scratched fly rods? How much can a fly rod take?

Guest bigbadbrent

keep fishing it till it breaks (if it even breaks). Sage jacked their price up to 50 bucks to fix a rod now, but i think you're fine, and its just simple wear and tear. If anything, if you're worried and don't have a backup, send it in pronto so you're not left rod-less if it does break on you this summer. I think its just your finish coming off and you should be fine....

Leave your rods in your vehicle overnight..Mice and other animals (porcupines, etc) love the taste of cork

Fisher26,

I think the rod is useless now... I'll take it off your hands if you want. I won't charge you too much for a disposal fee.

:P

I have a rod with a couple of hairline cracks and one that looks like a crack right on a ferrule. Its held up for 2-3 more seasons without breaking since I noticed them.

You've probably just hazed the finish, don't worry about it, some time variations in temperature can affect the finish, or maybe it's just where it was rolling around the roof before it fell, you'd know if it was the carbon that was defective, any way who's a naughty boy then leaving a sage out in the cold, next time you sleep on the truck roof, and put the rod in the tent :wacko:

Big relief, thanks guy's! I looked at it again today and there so small I can hardly see them.

Remember I'm the same guy who thought my new breathable waders might have a leak in them because they deflated when there was air in them. I can be a bit paranoid mostly because I'm too cheap to have my equipment break on me. :D

Thanks again.

Leave your rods in your vehicle overnight..Mice and other animals (porcupines, etc) love the taste of cork

cows... dont forget cows.

silly me, left my old 8wt out overnight. woke up the next morning to a heard in my campsite and the cow moving in on my rod.

got the rod out of danger just as the cow was wrapping her lips around it

I often carry two rods and leave one sitting on the bank. When you fish the Bow in the spring the banks get pretty gritty. My 690RPL+ is scratched to all hell and has had no issues whatsoever.

Like they say with some cars...give 'er till she pukes.

• 1 month later...
keep fishing it till it breaks (if it even breaks). Sage jacked their price up to 50 bucks to fix a rod now, but i think you're fine, and its just simple wear and tear. If anything, if you're worried and don't have a backup, send it in pronto so you're not left rod-less if it does break on you this summer. I think its just your finish coming off and you should be fine....

never thought that about the cork....def will bring them inside when camping