Fly Fusion Forums

Milano Protac Wader Review

Folks,

Hanson's gave me a pair of Milano Protac breathable waders to demo and write a little review on. I wore them for an hour in the freezing cold today, and here are my first impressions:

These are a soft top wader with a lined outer pouch, lined inner zipper pouch, draw string top. The come with the belt, through pretty big loops. They have an reinforcement in the ass, oversized reinforcement in the knees and built in gravel guards. The feet are a bit larger than regular tight fitting neoprene, with anti-slip on the soles. I actually thought that may be a problem getting in to my boots, but that turned into a non issue.

They appear to be very well made. It looks like inner and outer stitching. I played with the inner seals to see how they are made and they seem very flush with the material. Workmanship looks great.

They fit very well, and were pretty snug. I think they protected me better from the cold than my Simms, but that could be because my hands were so effin cold I didn't notice (it was -7 and windy). The buckles were easy to operate, even with my frozen hands.

I'll update this at the end of the winter, but the first impression is very good. They look to be made to compare to high end breathables. I would replace my entry level Simms with these in a second.

Hanson's will have them at the show. They retail for $329, but he is selling for $239, I think. I think he has a deal on boots as well. Check them out if you get a chance.

Written warranty is 1 yr on workmanship. But from what I'm told, they are very accommodating on any issue.

I have one of their rods, an 8 wt. I broke it reefing on a Bull Trout (ok, maybe I was reefing on the bottom in a pool full of Bull Trout, but is that really important?) Brought it back to where I bought it, and got the piece replaced right away. Very happy with the service.