Fly Fusion Forums

Generic Larvae / Caddis / Whatever!

albannachxcuileag

After mucking around with the other stuff it is time to get things real again and this little generic larva/caddis/grub can fill a lot of requirements especially as it is colour adaptable at the water's edge.

Ye Tying of Ye Maggotty Grubbe.

Thread - Olive 140 Denier UTC

Hook - Partridge Klinkhaamer Extreme size 14

Rib - Wine Red UTC Brassie wire

Abdomen - LureFlash Super Bug Wool - brushed out after ribbing

Hackle - Olive Grizzly Cock Hackle

Larvae.jpg

LarvaeGroup.jpg

Want to change the colour to match the hatch? Get a permanent marker and stroke the abdomen with it.

You can, of course, use a dark marker for the anal end of the larvae and graduate the body colour to suit to get more realistic in colouration.

Don't have a marker handy at the water's edge? Use natural colouring by picking some vegetation and rubbing this into the abdomen. various shades of green and brown are available to hand always and if you want colour then the petals from wild flowers will give you some temporary colouration as well.

Think out of the box, experiment with everything, there are no rules as far as I am concerned.

ColouredLarvae.jpg

Nice fly AC, do you think they'd work in a black or red for grayling ?

There is only one way to find out! Try it!

You could make the abdomen pink as well, this would not be out of keeping with the grub / caterpillar idea. The dark one worked for me but I got broken off fishing for rainbows on Sunday last.