Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Recommendations

DutchDryfly

Well, after much reading about the two handed crowd I am certainly thinking about buying a rod.

As it is used to fish for trout on medium rivers and Czech nymphing I was thinking about a switch rod.

So far I have narrowed it down to the following rods, Beulah Switch 4/5, Z-Axis 5110-4 and the one I really like Gary Anderson Hybrid 1193-5 & 964-4 or the 1194-5 & 965-4.

As I do not know much about those rods, the only one available to see overhere is the Z-Axis, I would like some recommendation and input.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I have a Beulah 5/6 switch and it's a nice rod. I found it very easy to use for spey casts on my first outing, but haven't really tried overhead casting with it. I had initially considered the 4/5 as well, but Beulah doesn't make a matching Elixir line for that rod. I'm not sure how well the 4/5 would work overlined with the 5/6 Elixir but IslandGuy would probably have a good idea. The reason I wanted the matching Elixir line was that the line is designed to be used for both spey and overhead casts and it's matched specifically to that rod.

I've heard lots of good things about the z-axis spey and switch rods as well as the Gary Anderson rods but have no experience with either one. I think you're choosing between three high quality rod makers, and like cheeler says the Beulah will be less expensive than the other two.

a little bit biased but check out the Whistler series from G&L Flycraft, by far the nicest switch out there

i here ya there dude i got on one the way a 10'9" 6weight maybe a 7..beauty stick....might just be my new fave once she is in my hands....the beaulahs are nice rods too..havnt fished teh sage..i have a loop blue 11'2" 7wt one/two hander...shes my go too nymph rod all teh way on teh bow...cant waite tooget the gh&l tho..will be a smaller stick and fun from the boat...

a little bit biased but check out the Whistler series from G&L Flycraft, by far the nicest switch out there

"Just a bit Brian",However,they are nice indeed. IMO the nicest Small Switch out there is the Beulah 4/5...lineing it seems to be an issue though..Beulah did not create an Elixir Series for that particular rod. This rod is a true Switch trout series...if you can find a Hardy Mach 1 Trout floating you will have a combo for life...or the life of the line...next would be the Snowbee XS Floating 7wt and then others.

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear that you are expanding your fishing experience to include Spey fishing. It's a great way to cast/fish and extremely versatile for just about every fishing situation. I rarely fish with single handed rods anymore.

I find the two handers always more adaptable and effective for just about every fly fishing situation.

My advice is to try casting a few different rods before you buy. Lately, I have really been enjoying my 11'6" Loop spey rods, both the 7wt. and an 8wt. Incredible fishing tools, but Spey rods are a personal choice and you should always focus on what works best for you, for the type of fishing that you want to do.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes and bring any questions you have. We all learn something everytime there is a question.

Greg

ps. Have you been out to your fishing beat in Belgium, with the motorhome this winter? I hope that you are still coming over to fish with us this year.

"Just a bit Brian",However,they are nice indeed. IMO the nicest Small Switch out there is the Beulah 4/5...lineing it seems to be an issue though..Beulah did not create an Elixir Series for that particular rod. This rod is a true Switch trout series...if you can find a Hardy Mach 1 Trout floating you will have a combo for life...or the life of the line...next would be the Snowbee XS Floating 7wt and then others.

I have a Beulah 4/5 switch lined with an airflo 40+ 7wt (cut back). Works pretty good.

Courtney, how are things? My brother and I will be back for pinks and chinooks this September!!

Dean

We are going to have a very good Pink and Chinook Year...There are plenty of Feeders right now in the 28" size,off Chrome Island/Kitty Coleman, French Creek and Cape Mudge...the Pinks will be here along this beach beginning in Mid July...

Looking forward to being in the Calgary Area for a week or so next week...hope to see you all

C

ps. Have you been out to your fishing beat in Belgium, with the motorhome this winter? I hope that you are still coming over to fish with us this year.

Unfortunately there are no open good rivers in Belgium after the third weekend in September. There are some spots still open, but usually those are the sewers with no decent fish. The season will open at the third weekend of March, so just have to wait a little longer.

Planning on going to Scandinavia in July for four weeks and thinking about a stay at the end of the season in the place you call your homewaters.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as I also needed a faster and longer SH#4 for Czech Nymphing, after consulting Gary I ordered the Gary Anderson Hybrid 1193-5 & 964-4 with matching Elixer line.

Now I just have to wait till the rod arrives. Clock seems to slowed down a whole lot since I called Gary.

He wanted me to call for getting me the right rod after all it is axpensive.

I told him it was not as expensive as the rods are overhere. For example the Z-axis switch will cost me USD 1050 and leaves me with only 1 rod.

Local shops are complaining that everybody is now buying on the internet, where the prices are at least 1/3 less. Go figure.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the rod yesterday and gave it a try.

After looking at lots of different DVD's (Rio, Henrik Mortenson and Spey to Z) the transition to DH was not that difficult, just had to slow it down a lot.

I have the Switch cast pretty much under control, placing the anchor where I want and getting the line out to 75 feet.

So the next step will be the single spey, then the double.

After that it will be the weak side that needs a lot of attention, as I am not used to use the left hand on my SH other then for double hauling.

Fortunately I ran into a bargain for the right reel with spare spool on a clubday that matches the rod perfectly.

Got a hold of the Vision Extreme 7/9 which not only has the perfect weight but also the color as the reelseat.

100_00542.jpg

100_00562.jpg