Fly Fusion Forums

Whats Up With Didymo ?

Hello;

I likely have the name of this snot incorrect however, a recent Calgary Sun reffered to potential concerns in this province. I think I have seen this on my home water in Reddeer.Sounds like maybe the guides and folks who bring foriegn guests to our waters including the Bow, should have them dip the boots in bleach before they head out.....

What do you think? :(

Guest bigbadbrent

Didymo has already been located in the Upper Bow. All people that travel waters, wether they from a different country or different river NEED to clean their gear, or dry it to completion (felts don't dry overnight, let alone 2 or 3 nights....). Someone that fishes the bow one day, and goes to the highwood the next without cleaning their waders, their boots, their net, is just risking it moving water bodies..then it just keeps moving and moving.

This is what people should do, its not that much work, considering how much these rivers do for us

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/didymo

Guest bigbadbrent

your net should be fine, as they do dry so quickly. Honestly, the boots are the biggest concern by far. Felt takes forever to dry to the bone, but bleach will do it. Its a 2 minute thing, instead of ruining a stream

Plus, you'll not stink if u wash ur waders inside and out frequently.

Guest bigbadbrent

New Zealand knows how to do it though, you're not getting in that border unless everything is clean and dry, otherwise they're fumigating it or burning it (free of charge!)

Glen, what was ur border experience like..or you Brudis?