Fly Fusion Forums

Copper/brass Wire

AdamJ

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone has any good ways of tying in wire to certain flies (Stimmie, Wooly Bugger etc.). Is there a knot required for the wire itself or can you just tie it in as though you're tying in any other material.

Thanks,

Adam

I find that I have to cover it with more wraps than hackle butt, though. You've got to have enough coverage to make the tie in point smooth and to keep the wire from spinning around on the hook when you begin wrapping it.

To do both, I will lay the wire on the hook at least midway up the hook, and cover it with thread wraps back to the bend. I'll tie in the rest of the materials that start at the back of the hook over that, then rib with the wire. Hope that helps.

With light wire on small flies (18 - 20) I lay on the entire shaft then wrap; tying thread the entire length. With heavier wire on large flies I'll often flatten the wire with smooth pliers first. Tie in a tag facing forward then double back the wire before wrapping the length of the shaft with tying thread. I always try to tie in the wire under the hook shank. It's less obtrusive that way. With larger flies I start my dubbing or other body material a wrap or two behind the wire rib before starting the rib winds. Starting ribbing from the very end on larger flies has a tendency to roll off the end of the body material. It also helps to bend the wire after tying it in at a 90 degree angle before starting your wraps.

hope this helps