Fly Fusion Forums

Rod/reel Recommendations?

rusty

Ok, so I've decided that I want to buy a spey rod. I'm thinking something in the 7/8 weight range. I'd like to buy a good rod - not necessarily the best you can get, but something that I won't be looking to replace in a year or two. What would you folks recommend and what are you looking at spending?

I can't imagine that there's anything particularly special about spey reels, other than they'd have to hold a lot of line. I already own several really nice reels. Would a 10 weight reel suffice for a 7/8 spey rod? I have an Islander LX4.0 and am looking at a Loop Opti Megaloop. Would these be sufficient?

hey rusty i would reccomend the loop 11' 6" 8weight....its my go to spey for the bow both nymphing and streamer fishing...as for reels i would say for jsut over 100bucks the loop clw 8twelve will ahve more than enough room....pm sent

the biggest qustion is what kidn of fishing are you planning on doing..do you plan on shooting line, tossin mega streamers, swingin with teh same length....

I'd like an all-around rod - something that I could use for steelies and fish the Bow with. For Bow fishing I think I'd like to toss streamers. I know some of the runs you guys are fishing and it's just not possible to fish them without the long casts. I also like the non-wading aspect that speying will give you.

That Loop sounds pretty wicked. Will they be at the show?

As another spey newbie, I have to say that the Beulah rods are fantastic as well. Haven't cast any Loops, but I'm sure they're good as Max says. If you can hold out until the show, Courtney will likely have Beulah and Snowbee rods and I believe that Gordon will have some as well. The good thing about the Beulah rods from a beginner's point of view is that you can buy an Elixir line that is matched specifically to one of their rods. Takes the guesswork out of choosing a matching line, though Rio has a chart of matching lines for various rods.

As for reels, make sure it's big enough. Your LX 4.0 should be good for a lot of lines. I have one of the Loop CLWs on order (WF10+290yds of 30#) like Max recommends. I noticed in the last week that it's pretty tough finding large reels in the city. Couldn't find any Lamson 4 reels, big Pfluegers, or even the big Ross reels. CDone had a big Grey's reel on his Beulah that isn't overly expensive (GTX I think) but looks like it gets the job done.

Anyways, there are lots of guys around with far more experience than me but I thought you might want to hear the point of view of someone else who just started out.

The Loop Blue 8116, that Max has mentioned, is a very sweet rod for the uses you describe, Russ. The Loop Blueline series and in fact most of the Loop color series, has been renamed this year and there are only a few of these Blue 8116's left available in Canada. I have been using the Blue 7116 and I am picking up the 8116 very soon, as well. These 11'6" fast action rods, work very well with Scandianavian Shooting line systems and its moderate length allows you to cast tight up against the banks, without having the rod tip in the branches each cast. It is very capable of rocking a 90' footer out to the sweet spot. Your Islander 10wt. is a perfect match for the rod you seek and the fish you want to catch.

The Beulahs speys, are very nice rods as well, but I have'nt cast the 12'6" 7/8.

Look for a fast action rod, 11'6" too 12'6", in a 7/8 wt., as these rods/line systems allow you to work from the shorelines and in tight quarters most effectively, yet still give you big casts with a small casting stroke. If possible, come out for a couple of hours and cast a few Spey rods with Max and I on the weekend.

One of the greatest weaknesses we have in the "Spey fishing world" has been Reels! Sure you can buy a Hardy Gem,or Ultralite,or Swift,or Islander , Ross , of Loop Traditional,Snowbee XS, Orvis Mach 5 and one of many others. These all have similarities,they are nice,expensive,comfortable reels,with a good drag system,some more expensive than others.However,reelistically,there are few functional reels that in-expensive, have good drags and come with extra spools for the many lines and systems we tend to have. MAny of us will try to cram large lines on too small reels only to damage the expensive lines in the process. Snowbee has brought out a Spey version of their award winning XSD Cassett reel system,utilizing their excellent and practical drag system around a Aluminum Die Cast /Powder coated reel body. We have finally available a reel that stands up to what we throw at it and have extra spools to boot. This reel comes with 4 Cartridges , a carrying case and extra spools are available inexpensively. Leeda(BFR) had a magnum that was not bad and big enough for Spey but are no longer about.

I don't think we will have them for the show but am trying to get a few...if not then shortly after the show...

Retails for about $175.00 When I want to look the part I will use the Gem,when I want to fish I will use the XSD1112!

The difference is how tight too the bank you can Spey cast. The 11'6" is great for the tough shorelines we often encounter and is a short enough stick to single hand overhead cast if the need arises. The 12'6" is nice as well and mends a little further, but not much. There is very little difference in casting range between an 8116 or 8126 of the same rod line, a bit, but not much. When fishing from the shoreline, I like the shorter rod. The extra foot of length of the 12'6", seems to put my rod tip and fly line in the trees when I am forming the D loop behind me, much more often than with the 11'6".

If you plan on wading often, then the extra length is usefull to maintain casting distance and line control.

Greg, when we last fished the Bow, I was on your 12'6 right? If so, it was very manageable given the very tight shoreline we worked, but an even shorter stick might be better there, BUT... I'd think you'd lose a bit of distance in other wide open spots. I'd say go with something around the 12-12'6 range if I were u rusty.

That's correct Brian, you were using the 12'6", but we also did a bit of wading to get off the bank a little, so we could cast without getting hung up behind us. The 11'6" is easier if you need to maintain stealth and cast from the bank, within the tree branches, like that steep shoreline we last fished together.

Doesn't D loop size also depend a lot on the line you're using? For example, wouldn't a line with a shorter belly require a smaller D than a long belly line? I can see where the rod length comes into play, but I was under the impression that it had as much or more to do with the line, especially if you're looking at two rods that have only a foot of difference between them.

This illustrates what I'm talking about:

http://www.snowbee.co.uk/_wp_generated/wpabf9e813.png

headscan, yes a shorter belly helps with tight quarters as does a shorter rod. Yet a shorter stiffer rod is much tougher to cast. your timing has to be much better ( less room for error). a 13' with a short belly would be best for a newbie.

Yes of course. We were using Scandinavian shooting heads, which are well suited for fishing in tight. Short heads require a shorter casting stroke/D loop, than long heads, which require a longer casting stroke and larger D loop.

Ah, ok didn't realize you guys were talking Scandi heads. Thought I had seriously misunderstood the way spey lines work. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

I love my Loop Blue 7116, but I just received my new Loop Blue 8116 and 9140 this evening. I'm itching to start swinging them both tommorow. I'm lining the little stick with an Elixir 380gr. @ 32' and I have a new Loop Quatro Multi Tip 9/10 for the big stick.

I won't be able to sleep....

I have found for myself that I love the smaller stick (maybe because I used a 10 foot single hand for a long time) and didn't find it to difficult to cast (Thankful I had some experince guys show me a thing or two).

Looking forward to the day I get my TFO Pro 7126 lined up........

As for line, I casted some of Toolmans here and there, but am imprssed with the Elixr. No coiling which is great (Espically in the colder weather) I also like the fact that the line doesn't make much splash which allows me to be a bit more concince on my stealth.