Fly Fusion Forums

Magic Heads

Rainbow

I tied a couple bunny-strip flies for bulls last year and was not really impressed. They didn't really add any action to the flies at all, although in hindsight I think it was most likely because they were probably too heavy/bulky. I also found out the hard way that if you put the fly away with any moisture around the magic head it will rust the hook eye quite badly. I'm sure they will probably work just fine on lighter/sparser patterns but for bigger fuller streamers I found them useless.

In my opinion, I think articulated streamers are the way to go if you are looking for side to side action or wiggle in your streamers. I tied and fished them quite a bit last year as well and they really converted me. Hope this helps.

The heads should add quite a bit of action. I found out at the show last year that you actually nee to trim it a bit to get the action you want. If you squeeze the cup between your thumb and forefinger and trim away the excess and then trim a bit from the bottom, you get action like in this video.