Fly Fusion Forums

Tape Or Wax Or Nothing

Harps

There seems to be general disagreement on other sites as to whether ferrules should be taped or not.

What do you guys do on the Bow (or where ever)?

I'm not sure if I should wory about it with a switch rod (which I haven't picked up from Toolman yet).

Any insight you guys have would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,

hey dude i foudn that with my single handers i had too tape them mainly because they were designed for more overhand casting and not twisting the blank while rolcasting so they fell apart on me..with the spey rods i taped for a while but stopped latley mainly becasue i feel my mechanics are getting better and im gettin lazy when the fingers are numb....with the switch i cant see it being a problem but if u notice that your rod sections are twisting ide strongly recommend taping....it makes the blank never twist and casts 100% everytime..and you dont halfto worry abotu snapping the ferrals......i really like the tape...looking into wax...will keep ya updated...wax have tons of grip so i could see it being hard too take apart if ur one too jam the rod together and make it "stay there good"...

I've been waxing the ferrules on my single handers for a while since I had a roll casting, uh, incident. Just buy a cheap white candle from Walmart or something and rub it on your ferrules. I find I only have to do it every few weeks, though it probably depends a lot on how many times you use that rod in a week. Keeps the ferrules together really well but is still easy to pull them apart as long as you twist and pull in one motion. I'll probably tape my spey rod but only wax my switch. I also read elsewhere that cheap tape can damage the finish on your blanks, so make sure to use the good 3M stuff.

I wax very lightly and use electrical tape When I fish Skagit style for winter and spring, short belly lines and shorter lighter rods. I have a theory, mostly unsupported except for a bit of personal experience and conversations with others owho fish the big rods. that rod size/line weight and possibly belly length have quite a bit of bearing on this issue in regard to torque. Torque is where the danger lies.

For example, on a Deer Creek 5/6 with 5/6 Windcutter ( admittedly a very light spey setup) I fished all summer with only wax on the ferrules and had no twisting or loosening. There just isn't that much torque there. In comparison, using a Loop 9140 with a Delta Long 9/10 and super fast sink leader and mostly Snake Rolling to keep the leader up, the ferrules will definitely start to twist when only waxed and taping as well is necessary.

Using a sustained load cast like the Skagit Double and the Perry Poke. These casts and lines do not seem to create the torque and stresses that the long belly snake-rolls do, therefore, I am certain that a tape job is not as necessary. However, I still tape - as I get apprehensive when I do not and worry about the ferrules rather than fishing.

Gordon showed us a great way to spiral tape the rod during the Spey casting clinic last year that I adopted as it is quick and easy. The way I look at it after buying a rod for 300 ++, a roll of tape for $1 is cheap insurance.

Looks like I'll have tape on hand and check the ferrule to see if they're twisting. People over on that speypages have been split one way or the other. I'm nervous about wreaking the finish as much as cracking the rod. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the info guys.

Hi Guys,

I always tape my rods for a couple of reasons, but also check the rod every so often (just look along the see all the guide eyes are in line), if i am taping my rods together at the river it gives me a chance to have a look at the piece of river i am about to fish and i can study any likely looking lies for fish, wading conditions and any dangers on the river, its always worth taking a few moments to study the river before fishing, so this is my taping time,(really less about the rod breaking, more about taking my time before i start fishing).

When working as a Ghillie on the Spey my rods stay taped all of the fishing season, i just transport my rods and guests rods with the Vac-rac's on the car from pool to pool or for lunch , the amout of rods i have seen broken by breaking them down and putting them in the back of the car and then putting them together again or breaking them by closing the car door on a tip has had grown men in tears.

I have, over the years seen quite a few double-handers come loose just a little and then split at the ferrels and grown men almost in tears, but have never seen this happen with a taped rod, but as i said i transport the rods on the car so don't tape them every time i move from place to place or even week to week..

See you all on the Bow soon, is it still warm and sunny ?

Gordon.

It seems that this issue is rampant amongst Spey Casters,in fact all casters. :P During a casting presentation to the many fly casters of Vancouver IslandsMid Island Area, Hardy's Andy Murray(then) made it quite clear that One must certainly keep the ferrules lubes and taped,however,not with just any wax but,specifically Pure Parafin Wax that has been combined,by rendering, with the Fat from the Liver of a White Tail Buck , yes that is correct.Although PArafin wax works just fine..

The irony is,that I had one of my Students bring me a Snub Container full of just that several years ago. He did the deed and knes I needed it ASAP. It works and maintains a puty like texture...True indeed..

Don't forget the tape...bottom up :blink: