Fly Fusion Forums

Future Fly Fishing In Alberta

I decided to start this thread and raise a few concerns that have been in my head lately. This is a great board and I want to hear all the diverse opinions and thoughts on the matter.

Seeing as it is now 2008 we are passing another landmark for Alberta and as a province we are experiencing some drastic changes, mostly for the good...

However we are seeing big population and environmental changes too. Over the course of about 10 years I personally have seen changes in our fisheries. However more over I have noticed the beginning of major change the tip of a new ice burg in a way.

Alberta's population is about three and a half million (not exactly sure). Now recently Calgary has reached over a million people meaning there is a HUGE population were the majority of the fishing is located.

Already I have noticed some big changes to streams but more are sure to come, bigger and faster than before. Firstly the amount of fishermen on waters has swelled - meaning more fish are injured and killed - more garbage is left - less spots - and generally a lower quality of fishing. A perfect example is the Livingstone, last time I fished it I was frankly disgusted. Beer cans were common, quads crossed upstream from me, campers left mounds of garbage and I saw many fish injured. The Livingstone is still a gem, but in tens years when Calgary is much larger what will it be like? The Highwood has already been covered in a previous topic so I won't go into it, but we all know it's getting trashed.

New money in Alberta means lots of development. The Crowsnest pass is practically disappearing and turning into another Canmore. It’s not bad now but in ten years...

All the while development on our streams keeps on chugging away. Logging has affected the east slopes already but new plans for massive development are out. Clear cutting around the Livingstone is in process, and mines have been proposed in several headwaters of our rivers.

Biologists tell us that Whirling disease is an eventuality, and in Montana 90% of the rainbow population was whipped out. I’m not saying that will happen hear but when our waters do get infected we will see declines in rainbow populations.

Whether you believe in Climate Change or not, water levels are lower and the snow pack seems to go faster each year (whether the quantity is larger or not). Although our streams are not in drought, there have been several low water years in the south. If trends continue with low water years, fish populations will be effected.

Not one single problem will have a major impact on our waters, however all of them combined could potentially be fatal to our sport.

Overall fishing in Alberta is currently in a fine state, but changes are in the process and rather than ignore them we need to confront and try to deal with them.

Studying the new usage, altering regs, and enacting environmental legislation like that found in BC would be a place to start, but nobody's going to give SRD and the authorities the money to enforce them unless someone with some influence steps up and calls them on it, ideally in the next election.

I'm hoping for a big recession in the oil industry. It would mean loss of jobs for many people close to me, but it would be all right in the long run if it resulted in all the get-rich-quick knobs going back east and leaving Alberta to Albertan's :ph34r:

[/

quot

Just trying to figure what you mean by your last statement; do you mean you'd like to see all the

Eastern Europeans & descendants leave, leaving Alberta to the Natives?

I'm hoping for a big recession in the oil industry. It would mean loss of jobs for many people close to me, but it would be all right in the long run if it resulted in all the get-rich-quick knobs going back east and leaving Alberta to Albertan's :ph34r:

Sorry Snakeman, I ain't going back to Ontario, And you can't make me.

*A park for the upper Castle would be a good start... no more random camping.

Throw in your support

http://www.ccwc.ab.ca/ccwcbref/ActionAlert...astleCrown.html

(or http://www.ccwc.ab.ca/ccwcbref/ReportsandD...epandDocs.html)

and

http://issues.albertawilderness.ca/CW/action.htm

The proposed Andy Russell Park is long overdue to protect one of the most important natural areas in Alberta. Fishing will still be the same, except you won't have to walk through somebodies loud random campsite to access the river, and once you're on the water you won't be runover by a kid on a bike driving upstream.

*Also Alberta NEEDS a guide registration/licence system. It is out of control that anybody from anywhere can accept money and show anybody where to fish in Alberta. Time to protect our fish and our own economy.

* And we need Legislation (not just suggestive policy) about development in floodplains. NO MORE! Taxes pay for flood damage repairs and we shouldn't have to. And how 'bout bridges that let streams flow naturally instead of culverts... more money upfront, but better for the fish and less flood and erosion problems.

And finally, I think that changes to the snow packs are going to have a serious impact on trout on the eastslopes... of course we always will have our tailwater fisheries, right??

* And we need Legislation (not just suggestive policy) about development in floodplains. NO MORE! Taxes pay for flood damage repairs and we shouldn't have to.

Does anyone have any information about the development taking place on the floodplain in Cranston slightly upstream and across river from the new Pine Creek wastewater treatment plant?

Does anyone have any information about the development taking place on the floodplain in Cranston slightly upstream and across river from the new Pine Creek wastewater treatment plant?

Call the Calgary Fisheries and Oceans Office or the Alberta Environment office. If there is a possible affect to the river, they should know what is going on.

I completely agree w/ you. I have fished the upper castle about three times and each time I go there it's a little like Indian graves was. Quads everywhere, trailers parked, quads washing in the rivers and of course mud pits. It was a complete zoo the first time I went.

The thing is the castle is an amazingly wild (and beautiful) river system that is getting trashed (by ultra rednecks).