Fly Fusion Forums

River Flow Question

mkm

I have recently started watching the river flow information on the net and was wondering at what level/rate does fishing normally start to pick up? Is there a certain flow rate when the fish become more active and if so does the fishing turn awesome bc the fish have been feeding less during the run-off peak?

Thanks

mkm

I prefer flows on the Bow river that are less than 240 cms. I fished on Friday evening when flows were at 236cms and the fishing was very good. I was out today and flows had increased to 301 cms and the fishing was slow. Same story last year, the Bow fished well when flows were under 240cms. As for the fish feeding behavior, that's difficult to say. Friday evening there was little insect activity on the water, but good fishing. Today, there were prolific hatches of PMD's, from 1:30pm- 6:00pm, but slow fishing.

some of the flow charts have it so you can take a look at past information so what I do is look at the flows from when I was at the river say last year and I know it was flowing good and then i compare it to this year or high flows and such

Crowsnest is measured way upstream. But using that info as the "standard" here is pretty much what you can expect in the section between the falls and say Hillcrest:

20 -25+ cms ... Put the sheep on high ground and find a lake to fish .. read a book or go to a movie ... cut the grass to accumulate points for when stream flows are lower. Wash your mother's-in-law car.

12 to 15 cms .. You could at least have a look and maybe try it. You can pound the banks. You will be able to wade in shallower sections. The river is ripping along a a fair clip and line control and depth control of nymphs is difficult. You will be able to cross in a limited number of places--but probably shouldn't do it alone. And you can't cross in all of your favorite places and and the route you took last fall won't work now because you won't be able to cross back and forth.

10 cms .. Okay now we can do some serious fishing, but it is still up to the grass banks. Crossing is becoming much easier and safer. You still will not be able to cross in a few of the places you crossed last fall. You are likely to be able to reach any bank riser on the far side but your line control may not be the best. It's getting decent.

7-8 cms. You can wade pretty much where you want and cross in the "usual" places. It's getting prime.

3-6 cms ..Normal late summer and fall flows -- subject to change after a rain. This is the very best. Great line control. Fish confined to the good banks and not spread all over hell. It's low enough that if you see a riser on the far bank you can cast to it AND get good drift control. The best, BUT the fish are also smarter and warier, so it's not necessarily easier. Just way more fun.

We "fished" on Friday at 14 cms. Was difficult.

This is complicated by visibility as well--of course. High water TENDS to be murky, but not necessarily.

Guest bigbadbrent
I prefer flows on the Bow river that are less than 240 cms. I fished on Friday evening when flows were at 236cms and the fishing was very good. I was out today and flows had increased to 301 cms and the fishing was slow. Same story last year, the Bow fished well when flows were under 240cms. As for the fish feeding behavior, that's difficult to say. Friday evening there was little insect activity on the water, but good fishing. Today, there were prolific hatches of PMD's, from 1:30pm- 6:00pm, but slow fishing.

cms, as in cubic meters per second?

Yes, cms or ...cu/m/sec or even ... m/3/sec ...all one in the same.

I've also noticed this week that the trout are feeding in the evenings on the Bow and kind of quiet in the daytime, even with decent hatches occuring most afternoons this week, at varying flow rates. An important detail to consider when looking at the complete picture of flow rates, visibility, water/air temp., wind speed, feeding times/patterns and hatches.