Fly Fusion Forums

Tasmania

Glenbow

I managed to squeeze in a couple of days of fishing in Tasmania before coming home. It was a bit daunting with not much direction, but a few magazine articles helped. I headed off from Hobart into the Central Highlands area for some Tassie lake fishing. I scoped out a couple of lakes and decided to try my luck at Arthur Lake. I rigged-up a 3 fly combo and went to work. After a bit of time & very little action I started turning over rocks to see what was on the menu. I noticed a large amount of small green scuds under the rocks, so I immediately tied on a green scud on the bottom of the rig (3rd fly) and started working the weed bed around 10ft down. As luck would have it, I got into a few browns almost right away! I had only about 1.5 hours of fishing before the torrential rain & howling wind took over & I left with 3 browns to hand, and a complete soaker. After stopping in at the local gas station/convenience store (that's all there is out there), I was asking about the fishing of late in the area to which the guy replied 'terrible - nobody's been catching more than 1 for the last week'. I could hardly believe it! I somehow managed to out-fish damn near everyone that had stopped in to that store in the last week in only an hour and 1/2! I felt really good about that, that I managed to find my way up to some water & get into a few fish and actually end up doing quite well all things considered. I have no doubt that it was mostly dumb luck, I just felt lucky to have both the dumb & the luck with me that day. The place I am fishing I saw a platypus swim by and my jaw almost fell off, it is such a rare thing to see. Too bad we hadn't got the camera ready in time as he dived away when he saw us but I guess I got the memory of it. There are some monster fish in Tassie as you will see from some pics that I saw at the local hotel bar.

Tas.jpg

Tas1.jpg

Tas3.jpg

Tas5.jpg

Tas4.jpg

Tas2.jpg

Tas8.jpg

Tas7.jpg

Tas6.jpg

Tas9.jpg