Fly Fusion Forums

Urban Spey Fishing And High Voltage

toolman

Thought it would be a good idea to mention the hazards of hitting low hanging power lines, when using a long Spey rod and fishing in the city. There's one power line that I have hit accidently, on three different occassions. Now, I try and not park my car unwittingly, underneath it, as that was the problem, I would get out of my car, take the rod off of the rod carrier and when I lifted the rod in the air, I struck the power line. On another couple of occassions, I was false casting a bit of line out of the tip to rig up in the parking lot, oblivious to the lines above me and struck the rod tip on the power lines.

So heads up when Spey fishing in the city and stay clear of any overhead lines.

If I said I'd have to watch out for the trains and semi's on the bridges, it would make too much of my casting.

Seriously, it's good to battle your tunnel vision and include safety in your mission of fishin'. Thanks for the reminder. The streams that open here tomorrow are a tad small for the long rod though.