Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Carvings...decoys

Guest Sundancefisher

Those spearing decoys arew great... read an article about them somewhere, don't remember where.

It is apparently a lost art, but making a comeback in the Eastern states.

Very cool... decoys to entice pike to withing spearing range. They'd look good on the shelf in my fly tying room.

Nice find.

I've started collecting them from a carver out of Ontario. I can't post much until after boxing Day but I will. The old antiques/collectables are the pricey decoys, the guy I collect from is pretty reasonable, but I figure they are a good investment and a nice addition to the house....Kerry

Guest Sundancefisher
I've started collecting them from a carver out of Ontario. I can't post much until after boxing Day but I will. The old antiques/collectables are the pricey decoys, the guy I collect from is pretty reasonable, but I figure they are a good investment and a nice addition to the house....Kerry

Please post some picks of the ones you have. They do look very nice. I like the realism in some of the decoys. The more artsy ones have there place also.

Sundance,

Shoot me a PM. Both my dad and my brother are avid spearing decoy collectors and carvers, cumulatively, they have nearly 1000 decoys. I'll have my brother contact with you the names of some of the classic carvers. There are really two ways to go, collect the factory stuff (Heddon, South Bend, Herters, etc) or regional carvers. If you like the regional stuff, watch for the Bethel name. The Bethel's are a family from northern Minnesota and legendary for their carvings.

I started collecting fish decoys last year, and I love them. I mostly look for the older trout/pike/sturgeon decoys (including Lawrence Bethel), but I do have some newer realistic ones as well. I've been trying to get all of the Alberta species represented. They are normally cheaper than the larger duck decoys. It is a nice diversion in the off season. I will post some pics of them soon. Welcome to the club!