Fly Fusion Forums

Perch Fishing In Calgary

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Anyone in Calgary interested in a little perch fishing this after noon? I know it is last minute but I just got a pass. Email me at Sundancefisher@shaw.ca

Guest Sundancefisher
sorry, i would have taken you up on that, but i was down on the crow. if you are thinking about it another weekend, let me know. i'd love to fish for perch. i havent caught one yet

Email me you phone number and I am sure the wife and kids will give me another pass over the next week. I am taking 2 guys out today. I caught 65 in 3.5 hours yesterday. Not a lot of big ones but a ton of fun all the same.

Have fun on the Crow

Sun

Hey LS, we could use your help removing perch from Sundance. We've got a couple of garbage bags of them out already this year, but the more the better. The little buggers are eating all the Gammarus and limiting the trout growth. They sure are good eating though.

This is probably way to far for you folks in Calgary--at least 3 hours. There's a hard-water angler here in Coaldale who goes to Sherburne Reservoir two or three times each week just for perch. They typically keep 10-inch perch (big) and yesterday were throwing back 11 and 12-inch perch as they got into some huge ones. Don't have details of exactly where they go and get on, but could get. They use a single maggots (versus married I guess) on small "Swedish Pimple" hooks--geez I think that's what he called them.

Guest Sundancefisher
This is probably way to far for you folks in Calgary--at least 3 hours. There's a hard-water angler here in Coaldale who goes to Sherburne Reservoir two or three times each week just for perch. They typically keep 10-inch perch (big) and yesterday were throwing back 11 and 12-inch perch as they got into some huge ones. Don't have details of exactly where they go and get on, but could get. They use a single maggots (versus married I guess) on small "Swedish Pimple" hooks--geez I think that's what he called them.

Those are nice sized perch for sure. Two years ago we were catching 50 perch all over 11 inches...this year seems out of 50 perch only about 10 are over 8 inches and only one or two over 12. Stunting is just around the corner. I suspect the 6-7 inch perch are a massive year class moving up.

Cheers.

Sun