Fly Fusion Forums

Tying Lamp - What Do You Use?

Rick

Hello and Merry Christmas to all.

My family is bugging me for gift ideas and I know I would appreciate a tying lamp but I don't know what to look for. What are you fellow tyers using and are you happy with the arrangement? I stopped at Wholesale Sports tonight and they had nothing except magnifiers w/o a lamp. Thanks. Rick.

I tried out a magnifier/lamp I found at Staples, but they decided to use a cheap plastic piece for the part that would take the most stress, so until I fix that it's a $10 clip on light you can get pretty much anywhere. Take a good look at any lamp you want to buy and make sure they're sturdy and not too heavy up top.

Hey I got a Michaels discount in the High River Times today! 50% off so I'm heading there this weekend to check out their lights. I haven't been there in years so I'll check out the beads and wire and other stuff too. Thanks so much, Rick.

I just bought an OTT lamp today for someone. The coupon will not work at Michaels because they are already on sale. The unit I bought was regular 239.95 and I paid 143.95 before GST. so it is still a good deal. I do not know if they are all on sale, in which case the coupon would work if there was a model you wanted that was not on sale. They make a nice desk lamp with magnifier, I think it was 169.00 regular and they make a floor lamp with magnifier that goes for 269.95 I think. I do not know if either of these was on sale as I did not find out the one I bought was on sale until I brought it to the 'till.

Natural light tubes will not distort the colours of what you are tying and the tubes give off almost no heat.

I tie in the dark by feel alone by robbing yourself of one sense you heighten the others. I also hold the hook in my teeth.... no vise for this guy. ;) Just kiddin. I have a regular pedastal light with an ajustable neck I picked up at a garage sale for 50 cents. Works but it sucks specially since I usually tie in a dark basement. I may have to look at some of these natural light ones. they sound good.

Lonefisher. Some of my flies look like I tied them in the dark.. but I didn't.

I picked up an Ott-Lite after Christmas at Micheals for 50% off. They were on sale for 40% off but if you had the coupon they gave the full 50. Now I just need some time to use it. Thanks to all. Rick.

I currently use an Ott-lite. However, when I used to have a little more swing space at my tying desk, I used a fluorescent swing arm desk lamp -- sort of the fluorescent version of the light Pacres posted. After a little poking around I was able to get some full spectrum 18" tubes for it. I believe it was Robinson Light and Bath that ordered them for me. This was the best arrangement, since I could put the lamp high enough not to get in the way. I find the Ott-lite does tend to get in the way when I'm tying, but it does provide very good light. My 2 cents, Terry

Since I needed some better lighting myself I decided to do a little testing. Here's what I did.

I bought an OTT lamp, desk model such as this. (Paid $50 at Canadian Tire.)

ott-lite.jpg

Then I went to Rona and bought the following lamp ($13.77) and stuck a 18 watt Tensor Vision Max bulb ($14.98) that I also bought from Rona into it. The Tensor Vision Max bulbs are a natural daylight bulb that put out equivalent amount of light as a 75watt incandescent bulb. (Sorry no link to the bulbs.)

79182621.jpg

http://www.rona.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servl...productId=50311

I then put the lamps to the test by sitting down and tying for a few hours. I used the OTT lamp first then the Rona configuration. I found the OTT lamp was in my way and did not produce anywhere near the required amount of light. The Rona configuration lit up my entire tying area, plus it can be moved easily. The color temperature of the lamps was identical, or at least I didn’t notice the difference. In other words they produced light that looked the same. I found my eyes did not get tired or strained using either lamp.

Conclusion:

The OTT lamps are very, very, very pricey, even when on sale. I’m sorry I ever posted a link to them. The Tensor Vision Max bulbs produce way more light for less than a third of the cost. Furthermore it looks like Tensor makes almost the identical lamp as Ott for quite a bit less:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...oductId=2422240

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-6...gt_adv_XSP10001

$49.00 for a light bulb?

http://www.ott-lite.com/productdetail.asp?product_id=40

• 4 weeks later...