Fly Fusion Forums

Reel Question...

brntrut

Need some opinions here people...Looking at a new reel for my 6wt. I already have a sage 2550 for my 5wt and was wondering what people thought of other reels out there Abel, Voessler, Bauer, Orvis at the same price range. Have looked at some bauers and some orvis and they look nice but thought i would get the skinny on some other ones. Also in the mean time can i rock my 2550 on my 6wt??

Guest bigbadbrent

even if it doesnt fit, just trim some backing off, it'll fit then

the 2550 is meant to hold a 5 or a 6, though the 2560 does it a bit better

Lots of good reels mentioned. My first good reel I bought was a ROSS Cimmaron about 7 years ago. Have another spool and line for this system and I would highly endorse Ross in the $200 range.

I now also have 2 GALVAN reels and I put them high on the list. Drag is smoother on the Galvans but they are more $$$. Paid around 340 for an OB-5 5 years ago and bought a Torque on ebay for 230.00 last year for my 4 wt. Love it.

Service with Lou galvan ( owner) has been exceptional!

These reels are very good and with the Canadian Dollar you could get a good deal. I would buy another tomorrow if I needed it!

Give them a look. Westwinds carries them.

Good Luck

Need some opinions here people...Looking at a new reel for my 6wt. I already have a sage 2550 for my 5wt and was wondering what people thought of other reels out there Abel, Voessler, Bauer, Orvis at the same price range. Have looked at some bauers and some orvis and they look nice but thought i would get the skinny on some other ones. Also in the mean time can i rock my 2550 on my 6wt??

Just bought 2 Orvis Battenkill LA reels a III (for a 5 - 7 wt) & II (for a 3 - 5 wt) plus an extra spool on the Orvis website for the same cost as just one here @ Monods in Banff (having a friend bring them up after Christmas). I have heard VERY good things about the Orivs Battenkill LA's (including a stellar warrantee/guarantee), plus the price is/was just too good to pass up (including exchange, tax & shipping)!! Check them out - stock is somewhat limited by now, I would suppose...

P

Guest Sundancefisher

I quite like my Islanders...used in the salt a bit with no problems. Smooth drag etc. Not sure the price for a six weight though but a six weight would be fine for smaller cohos off Tofino or bonefish in Belize.