Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Rod For Grayling?

pheasantnut

Currently have a 5 wt as my all purpose rod, but it seems way to big for when I go fishing for grayling. Was thinking about getting a lighter weight rod but don't know whether to get a 3 wt or a 4 wt. Any suggestions or opinions? Was wondering if a 3 wt would have enough spine to do the job with out playing the fish out too long. Thanks for the imput...Cheers Pheasantnut

It can depend a little on the manufacturer and or operator but a 8' 3wt has been my goto rod for mountain fishin for the past 15 yrs or more and it's handled everything up to 26" fish well....so much so I've wore the guides out twice. IMO it's only downfall...wind, it ain't very good in it..if you're gonna deal with a bunch of wind go with a 4 but since you've already got a 5 for that I'd go with the 3. :)

Currently have a 5 wt as my all purpose rod, but it seems way to big for when I go fishing for grayling. Was thinking about getting a lighter weight rod but don't know whether to get a 3 wt or a 4 wt. Any suggestions or opinions? Was wondering if a 3 wt would have enough spine to do the job with out playing the fish out too long. Thanks for the imput...Cheers Pheasantnut

I could not agree more. I have a Dan Craft 3wt on order and look forward to using it. I used a friends 3wt in the crow and it has converted me. Way softer presentation on the size 22's.

I concur. Got a 3 weight from CDock this summer and it's pretty awesome for the smaller stuff.

As far as whether or not it can handle the fish.. well, this one's a 4 weight, but still:

Thanks for the replies guys, so if I got a three and over lined it with a 4 wt line would that help with the wind ya figure?....Cheers and any suggestions on which 3 weights to look at....thanks again.

Just use your 5 for windy situations and double haul, you ain't tryin' to finesse it when it gets that windy. I'm a poor one to be recommending rods to anyone 'cause any plastic rod I like over 8 ft is bullet fast and any glass rod under 7.5 I like is slower than molasses. Depends on how fast or slow a rod you like and how much you wanna spend. :)