Fly Fusion Forums

Fish The River Spey

speyghillie

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of setting up a weeks fishing in the Scottish Highlands and on the Famous river Spey, i know its coming up to Xmas and not the best time to put such a thought forward at this time of year but just wanted to see if anybody liked the sound of a week on the Spey in July 08, the down side is i will be your Ghillie. :)

I ask here first because i am going to advertise these trips at the Calagry fly show, so thought i would give you the guys a heads up first.

I will not be doing anything apart from checking out prices over the next week or so, so there is no panic but you can fly from Calgary and Vancouver direct to Glasgow for around $800 bucks return, i will do the rest and if you want a day off you can always go on the only Malt whisky trail in the world, i will be able to price the whole cost accomodation, airport transfer, meals ect after new Year.

Like i say there is no hurry, just think it would be good fun and a chance for you to fish the Spey. B)

Gordon.

Gord you are making this really freaking tough??!?!!The details please...

BTW...was out today ,decided to whore myself with gear and failed miserably,,,,..so ,perhaps with some help from the fish gods I asked for forgivness and swung flies on my favorite stretch of the Glorious Stamp River...and low and Behold a bright Winter Steelhead of about 12 lbs decided to entertain me for a while..beautiful fish,yes it was snowing,yes I was cold and yes I landed this beaut....have been doing some work on smaller heavy flies ...worked well. I must say that swinging a fly is sweet...takes all the competition out of the day!

If I don't chat with you before Xmas have a good One>e

from both of us

C

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of setting up a weeks fishing in the Scottish Highlands and on the Famous river Spey, i know its coming up to Xmas and not the best time to put such a thought forward at this time of year but just wanted to see if anybody liked the sound of a week on the Spey in July 08, the down side is i will be your Ghillie. :)

I ask here first because i am going to advertise these trips at the Calagry fly show, so thought i would give you the guys a heads up first.

I will not be doing anything apart from checking out prices over the next week or so, so there is no panic but you can fly from Calgary and Vancouver direct to Glasgow for around $800 bucks return, i will do the rest and if you want a day off you can always go on the only Malt whisky trail in the world, i will be able to price the whole cost accomodation, airport transfer, meals ect after new Year.

Like i say there is no hurry, just think it would be good fun and a chance for you to fish the Spey. B)

Gordon.

Gordon,

What would someone be fishing for at that time of year?

-al

Hi Guys,

I will post the detail after the new year, Al ,July is the best time for Sea-trout and Salmon on the Spey, long summer nights when you can fish all through the night, its only dark for a couple of hours in July.

Sanjaunworm, getting a bar brawl going here does'nt take much, just tell everybody your English and talk about Culloden that should do it,

Islandguy i hope you and your mrs have a great Xmas and will see you in Calgary in Jan if not before then.

Thanks Gordon.

Hey Brownstone,

Depending on how long of a holiday you are planning, you could have time in both, worth having a look at flights with easyjet or ryanair, you can sometimes get flights for next to nothing, but i will post the time and total cost in the new year of the River Spey week.

Thanks Gordon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

First of all a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all, i have been working on some detail of the Spey week and thought i would give some more detail, the cost for the week would be around $1800.00 per person, this is without flights which run at around $800.00 direct from Calgary to Glasgow.

The price includes airport pick up and return, 5 days fishing on the River Spey (two days and night on your own private part of the river), three days fishing the local town beat, B and B accomodation , and one days tour of the only Malt whisky trail in the world.

I can change things around abit if anybody wants more days on a private beat or a day doing some sight seeing, trout fishing ect.

Fishing the Spey at that time of year is limited, most beats are booked up year in year out, so i need to book the private beats in the next couple of weeks.

If you are interested or have any questions just send me a PM.

Thanks Gordon.