Fly Fusion Forums

Bloody Buzzer

albannachxcuileag

You guessed it, yet another Bloodworm Buzzer. Well it is that time of year where they show up on the menu as our finned friends start heading to the bottom of the waters to avoid us yet again and try and keep warm as they eat!

AnotherBloodyBuzzer.jpg

This is on a size 12 Grip 14723BL - one thing about these hooks, they are bloody sharp!

Thread is 70 Denier UTC Rusty Brown,

Abdomen from UTC Flashback Red Tinsel - I used the medium size as this gave the required ribbing look without having to incorporate one,

Thorax is Scarlet seal's fur from Gerry's Highland collection - one of the best selections I have bought in a while - no promo intended!

The tinsel is wound to the eye and back again to the start of the thorax before the application of the seal's fur and then is looped over the fur to give the intimation of a wing case or flash back before whip finishing.

• 5 weeks later...

Nice buzzer my friend, try tying a one of these, both in olive, red, orange, and black, they work very well any time really, but are best in the cooler monthe or when the waters a bit coloured, although they are from across the pond, I've given them to friends to take when touring the States, and the reports where very good

oliveshag.jpg

You could try this one, it's fairly easy, basically it's a standard buzzer hook, black thread, silver wire and holographic tinsel, wind down the thread to the bend, tie in the silver wire, run the thread back to 1/8" of the eye, rib with the wire, tie off the wire and tie in the holographic tinsel, either as a wing case or as cheeks, the choice is yours, next form a head, pull over the tinsel and tie off, whip finish, and either varnish or coat in epoxy resin, the secret is to use a rotary fly dryer,

006-1.jpg

Here are 6 of my favourites over here for this time of year. An abbreviated pattern on a large shrimp hook (size16) works well as a point fly in a team. This serves to get smaller less heavy stuff down if the fish are lying deeper. The olive and black works well on its own or as part of a cocktail of buzzers. The tyings are all extremely simple generally utilising either plain thread as a body fine silver wire as a rib, hot orange goose biots as a cheek. We go absolutely mad over here on ladies nail varnish branded as Sally Hansen Hard As Nails used as an epoxy coating but obviously you will have your own products over there.

Sixofmybest.jpg

The varnish I use for buzzers, is a laquer made for the furniture industry, its celulose, and dries very hard, and is waterproof, I've used it also for varnishing whippings on rod rings, but for that smooth even finish I must reiterate that a rotary fly drier is a must

The varnish I use for buzzers, is a laquer made for the furniture industry, its celulose, and dries very hard, and is waterproof, I've used it also for varnishing whippings on rod rings, but for that smooth even finish I must reiterate that a rotary fly drier is a must

To be perfectly honest I have never used a rotary drier. I have managed so far without one. I must say though that with my usual hankering for gadgetry, now that you broach the subject I think that I may consider buying one. :blink:

You'll wonder what you ever did without one mate, but a little advise, you're from the UK, so go for the lureflash version, its a third cheaper for the same machine, you also get a handy gizmo for turning your rod sections when either fitting new rings or re-varnishing, saves all those messy drips, anyway heres a photo

001-1.jpg