Fly Fusion Forums

Icefishin'

rusty

Guest Sundancefisher

I love eating Pike.

My favorite method was to cut it up, fry it in butter, mix it in with Campbells creamy mushroom and onion soup and then put over rice or spagetti. Yummm when caught in the winter.

Summer pike I can not eat. Found it tasted mushy. I used to be good at cutting the Y bones out. Not sure I can do it as quick now.

Happy eating.

Cheers.

Sun

Nice lookin snot rockets.I enjoy eating winter pike too,fried up in a beer batter and with onion rings.

Was on Severn on saturday,it started off pretty slow, drilled 20 holes and finally started to get action in 7 feet of water.I caught 4 that went over 20 inches and 3 that were 12 inchers.My pard got one that was 23 inches.We each kept one to eat.I baked mine stuffed with a mushroom ,onion and celery dressing,that was mighty fine cuisine.

I'd rather not post exact location (no doubt some here already know) - but it's less than two hours SE of Calgary. Most of the lakes down there are fishing well.

Pike are phenomenal table fare in the winter once you figure out how to remove the Y-bones. There are some great youtube videos. My favorite pike recipe:

plate 1: cornstarch+flour, 3 tbsp each

plate 2: two eggs + 1/2c buttermilk

plate 3: 1/2c cornmeal, salt and pepper, 1/4c parmesan cheese, 1/2c bread crumbs, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp chopped lemon zest

Fillet chunks go in plate 1 and get dusted off thoroughly, then dredged in 2 and breaded in 3. Give 15 minutes for the breading to set up and fry 3 minutes per side in hot oil in a cast iron pan.

Severn's a great spot but it gets meated out pretty good. Awesome to hear that there are some bigger fish in there now.